paint stir sticks

I've been using the paint stir sticks to mix my dye and FO into the wax. I ran out and mentioned to my BF that I was thinking of just buying a case of sticks and he went into the hardware store and bought all they had at the time - about 100 sticks. He got them from a different place than I've been getting them from. The sticks he bought have the name of the hardware store stamped almost all the way down the stick. It would definitely get into the wax.

My question is can the ink on that stamp come off just enough and end up mixing into my wax? I don't want that extra dye in there but I hate to not use the sticks at all since he made a special trip over to the hardware store just to pick some up.

Thoughts?

TIA

Jennifer

This is precisely why I use bamboo skewers to stir....cheap and no paint on them :)

I have used the bamboo skewers for poking relief holes but I did not think to use them for stirring. I don't have any here to try that either... I assume it gets all your dye and oil incorporated or you wouldn't keep using it. I picked up the paint sticks because they were wider, like a spoon. I would have thought the skewer to be too thin to be stirring with.

Do you find that you have to stir for a longer period of time?

I've always used a high temp spatula and I can stir very quickly and throughly. I, too, would think skewers would take forever to incorporate everything throughly since it's not moving much wax with each revolution.

I guess it would depend on what kind of paint is on the stick. Testing it should prove the point....dip it in just plain wax and then wipe it off...see if you can see any of the paint in the wax you've wiped off. You could coat them with a couple of things...you could dip them in that plastic coating type paint (you can also dip stuff like gardening tool handles in it) or a spray a clear acrylic on it. Or why not dipping them in thompson's water seal?

Well good news! I went to use one of those sticks today, kind of grabbed it in a rush, not thinking about it, and in the short pour pot with a pound of wax, the wax level was still below the paint. So no worries! :yay: Thanks to everybody for chiming in.

My BF was very happy. :laugh2:

Edited by jenscandles

• 3 weeks later...

We've been using silicone spatulas, because with the wooden spoon was causing a reaction with the wax once it cured. Basically it was causing a pattern to form at the top of the candle.

Just wash them after each use, and have been using them for over 3 months now without any problems.