Exfoliants added to M&P

CandleMama6

Hi,

you can add exfoliants to mp yes. Some with go brown with time so it can make the soap less appealing.

In this forum there is a large thread on mp additives that you will find full of details of exfoliants and the amounts used. Its a great thread that is so full of knowledge and I know there have been lots of exfoliants used with great success.

Good luck, exfoliants are lovely and very nice in mp

jo

Most exfoliants are added by a stirring method.

For example, when I did MP soap one of my favorite to do was called "Mocha Morning" Coffee FO and Mocha coffee grounds.

I'd get my MP ready, heated, scented, colored, etc... and then put my coffee in and stir like MAD until it started to cool some. It'll start to get an almost elastic type of feel to it and it'll get fairly thick... POUR FAST because it'll cool on you quickly then you have to reheat and stir all over again.

There are all sorts of additives you can blend into M&P for exfoliation properties:

oatmeal

coffee

sugar

ground spice

tea

cornmeal

lemon/orange zest

loofah slices

ground loofah

ground pumice

pumpkin flakes

strawberry seeds

The list goes on but those are some that come to mind. I have tried most of these. You will want to experiment with a variety of them to determine what type or how much 'scrubby' effect you want. Some of these additives have additional properties too. Eg.; oatmeal is soothing and gentle on your skin.

You want to melt your base down before adding any additive. If you want the additive to be suspended in your base you will have to let it cool down a lot when you pour it in your mold. Also make sure you have it blended thoroughly in your base.

OATMEAL - I love adding oatmeal, honey, and goat's milk to my base for an oatmeal, milk & honey soap. I buy whole rolled oats and grind them myself in my blender. I give a short burst in my blender as I like the oatmeal to have a mixture of fine and course grind. I use about 1 tbs of ground oatmeal per lb base.

TEA - For tea I like to use Celestial Tea blends and just open a bag into a small bowl. I only use about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per lb. With tea you will have to experiment as some teas and ingredients in tea blends can bleed in your finished soap. If this happens you can always remelt your soap. I found that the tea I like to use most is chamomile.

CORNMEAL - Cornmeal adds a very scratchy exfoliation. Its a good exfolient if you want a strong one. Just use sparingly. I recommend 1/4 tsp per lb. to start off with.

COFFEE - I have only tried coffee grounds. As unbrewed coffee will definitely discolor your finished soap. Use up to 1 tbs per lb. Makes a lovely exfolient and blended with a coffee, vanilla, or chocolate type scent is wonderful.

LEMON/ORANGE ZEST - Some people like to dry out their zest before adding to the base. I zest lemons right over my melted base and mix right in. I make a lemon & gm scrubby soap that my customers love. I use about 1 tbs (approx. 1/2 lemon) of fresh lemon zest. Combined with a lemon scent it is a super refreshing exfoliating soap.

SUGAR - I prefer turbinado and it needs to be added to your melted and cooled down base just before you pour into your mold. You want the base as cool as possible as the sugar will start to melt. I usually just sprinkle it into the bottom of my mold rather than mix it in. Sugar will also compromise the lather and can discolor to a light tan your finished soap so use sparingly. No more than 1 tsp per lb.

If you don't have turbinado you can use white sugar. I would only use this as a topping and not blend it into a melted base. Sprinkle into your mold and pour your melted base over it. It will give your soap a textured top but not much of an exfoliating factor.

GROUND SPICE - I love using fresh ground cinnamon and nutmeg to my soapmaking. Just a few shakes will add texture to your soap. I love using spices in several of my soaps.

PUMPKIN FLAKES - WSP has these. I use them in my pumpkin spice soaps. Unfortunately they do discolor to a light brown/tan so use very sparingly. I use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per lb.

Have fun experimenting!

There are all sorts of additives you can blend into M&P for exfoliation properties:

oatmeal

coffee

sugar

ground spice

tea

cornmeal

lemon/orange zest

loofah slices

ground loofah

ground pumice

pumpkin flakes

strawberry seeds

The list goes on but those are some that come to mind. I have tried most of these. You will want to experiment with a variety of them to determine what type or how much 'scrubby' effect you want. Some of these additives have additional properties too. Eg.; oatmeal is soothing and gentle on your skin.

You want to melt your base down before adding any additive. If you want the additive to be suspended in your base you will have to let it cool down a lot when you pour it in your mold. Also make sure you have it blended thoroughly in your base.

OATMEAL - I love adding oatmeal, honey, and goat's milk to my base for an oatmeal, milk & honey soap. I buy whole rolled oats and grind them myself in my blender. I give a short burst in my blender as I like the oatmeal to have a mixture of fine and course grind. I use about 1 tbs of ground oatmeal per lb base.

TEA - For tea I like to use Celestial Tea blends and just open a bag into a small bowl. I only use about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per lb. With tea you will have to experiment as some teas and ingredients in tea blends can bleed in your finished soap. If this happens you can always remelt your soap. I found that the tea I like to use most is chamomile.

CORNMEAL - Cornmeal adds a very scratchy exfoliation. Its a good exfolient if you want a strong one. Just use sparingly. I recommend 1/4 tsp per lb. to start off with.

COFFEE - I have only tried coffee grounds. As unbrewed coffee will definitely discolor your finished soap. Use up to 1 tbs per lb. Makes a lovely exfolient and blended with a coffee, vanilla, or chocolate type scent is wonderful.

LEMON/ORANGE ZEST - Some people like to dry out their zest before adding to the base. I zest lemons right over my melted base and mix right in. I make a lemon & gm scrubby soap that my customers love. I use about 1 tbs (approx. 1/2 lemon) of fresh lemon zest. Combined with a lemon scent it is a super refreshing exfoliating soap.

SUGAR - I prefer turbinado and it needs to be added to your melted and cooled down base just before you pour into your mold. You want the base as cool as possible as the sugar will start to melt. I usually just sprinkle it into the bottom of my mold rather than mix it in. Sugar will also compromise the lather and can discolor to a light tan your finished soap so use sparingly. No more than 1 tsp per lb.

If you don't have turbinado you can use white sugar. I would only use this as a topping and not blend it into a melted base. Sprinkle into your mold and pour your melted base over it. It will give your soap a textured top but not much of an exfoliating factor.

GROUND SPICE - I love using fresh ground cinnamon and nutmeg to my soapmaking. Just a few shakes will add texture to your soap. I love using spices in several of my soaps.

PUMPKIN FLAKES - WSP has these. I use them in my pumpkin spice soaps. Unfortunately they do discolor to a light brown/tan so use very sparingly. I use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per lb.

Have fun experimenting!

WOW!! :shocked2: What a list!! I am new to M&P and love the soaps that I buy that have exfoliants so I was wanting to add some to my own soaps as well.

Thank you so much for sharing. :yay: