Candle Nose?!?!?

I'm testing a few of my candles for throw and run into a little problem. I think I may have candle nose.

Ok, when I put the candle in a bedroom, and shut the door, let it burn a bit and walk in, there's a REAL good throw! Fills the room! Even go so far as to say knocks-your-socks-off-strong.

When I put the candle in my living room though, obviously a more open area, I can't freakin' smell it! UGH!

I figure it's gotta be candle nose cause how can moving from room to room affect the throw at all?

I'm wondering if putting it in a closed room is a valid way to test for throw? Anyone else do that?

Jess

Well what size candle are we talking about? But most of the time a fragrance is affected by the drafts in your home. I can burn a candle in the kitchen and the fragrance gets taken onto the sun porch by a window over the sink. If you had candle nose, you wouldn't have smelled anything in either room. HTH.

Steve

Put it in the bedroom and keep the door open. See if you can detect fragrance down the hall or in other parts of the house. Mostly, you want to notate how well your candle burns. You already know it will fragrance but how deep is your melt pool, does it smoke or soot, how high is the flame, ect.

When you are constantly around a fragrance, you don't notice it as much; but when you leave the room (go outside for a while) and reenter, you will notice the fragrance more. Because the bedroom door is closed, you don't smell it anywhere else, so it's a big surprise to your nose when you open the door. When you put it in the living room, the fragrance has a chance to travel through the areas of the house that you are inhabiting, so you may not notice the scent as strongly.

As far as drafts... I test many of my candles on my front porch for scent throw. While I don't test on windy days, it is certainly open and occasionally breezy. If people can smell the candle when they get out of their cars out front, it's throwin'. If I go do the dishes or some laundry and come back out onto the porch and the entire area is scented, it's throwin'! If I'm out back dong something and can smell the candle around the corner of the house, it's throwin'. Some candles seem to have a great hot throw in my bathroom (old house, high ceilings) with the door closed, but when burned in the livingroom, they don't have enough "oomph" to handle the larger air space, but before I make that determination, I leave the house for an hour or so and reenter to be sure. Then I ask other people to be sure it isn't just me. HTH :)