Silicone Mold Ripped, Can I Fix It?

If the maker advertises that you can turn their molds inside out, I'd take pics and send to them and see if they might replace it. If they don't advertise that you can turn them inside out, you never should as some silicone will split if you try...but that's a mute point now.

You can try lining up the split evenly, and putting rubber bands around the mold at different heights along the sides, and pouring it(put inside a pan just in case). It may work, it may not - but you'll never know unless you try.:tiptoe:

I would definately take some pics and send them along to the moldmaker, telling them what happened and see if they'll replace it. Make sure you let them know how many candles you've made from the mold also. All of them say hundreds. I've never found a glue or tape that works on these. Once there's a rip, that's it.:(

I was going to suggest the aluminum tape too. I didn't know you could get it at Walmart when I bought it though and got mine at Home Depot. A HUGE roll cost me about $7-8 but as far as I'm concerned, that stuff it worth its weight in GOLD! Wonderful stuff. If you can't find it/it doesn't work you could try that mold sealer puddy stuff.

*Goes to look for a link cause I don't know the proper name*

http://newcart.candlesandsupplies.com/Store/Products/Candles/PID-MS.aspx

That stuff is really good too. I've never tried it with silicone but it might be worth a shot.

I do agree also that if the manufacturer/supplier advertised it could be turned inside out, then contact them about it and see if they'll refund you/replace it, especially if it was a recent purchase.

Tried it...doesn't work...remember, people love silicone molds because nothing sticks to them, including the tape. It may hold for a minute when you first tape it, but the second you start bending the mold, it will come off. Much less expensive to hold together with rubberbands. Let us know if the moldmaker replaces it.

They sell a glue, try Smooth On

http://www.smooth-on.com/faq_display.php?faq_id=36&cID=4,

but it is expensive. Says to clean with acetone and apply glue. Why not clean and then try silcone caulking for the glue. Put a candle you've made to keep the form, glue and then maybe some rubber bands to keep together. Don't know if this way will take turning inside out but may last for awhile.

I have a grubby electric candle mold that I turned inside out to clean and it ripped down the side and part of the bottom. Is there a way to fix it so I can still pour candles? Grrrr, it was expensive and I've only poured a handful of candles with it.

I have a silicone mold that I made myself that ripped pretty significantly. I just make sure the rip is aligned evenly and rubber band snugly. I've used it for over a year this way and have no problems with the mold. Silicone is very forgiving.

Well, ok.. I dont know what is going on lately, but everyone is sending their molds to me to patch.Who ever makes that purple stuff ....... anyways. I use silicone to patch silicone. I dont charge anything. Because I just dab a little on the mold when I am pouring silicone. So if you would like to send it to me, I will fix it. You pay shipping. Or you can go down to the harware store and buy , just regular silicone.(in the tube) It will ahere to it. Just make sure that you dont put so much on that it dribbles down inside. Because then you will ruin it.

Monica

Edited by van_yulay

That is funny because I bought a purple mold off the classies not long ago and I was cleaning it yesterday and noticed that one of the cavities almost has a hole in the bottom. It is so thin light REALLY shines through. I will try putting a thin layer of that tube silicone on the underneath and hope it doesn't spring a link. Thanks for mentioning that, Monica, I would not have thought of it.

Jennifer