A Few (More) Basic Questions

Hi, List.

I have yet a few more random & amateur questions, if you please. (I thought you might prefer that I group them together instead of spamming the board!). Info on any of them would be greatly appreciated:

1. Should I worry about reusing glass test containers multiple times? Is there a danger that the glass becomes more prone to shatter if it's continuously reused?

(I am using only glass recommended for candles)

2. Does the color of the glass container noticeable affect burn test results?

I.e., if I test a wick/FO/wax combo in a 2 ¾" diameter red glass tumbler can I safely trust that it would work the same way in the blue or frosted version of that tumbler?

I wouldn't think it would make a difference but thought I'd ask...

3. Are there any rough guidelines for when you start to think of double or even triple wicking a container or pillar?

Like +3" diameter = 2 wicks, +4" = 3 wick?

Do you then automatically start to think of going down one wick size than you'd typically be trying if you were single wicking the container.

I know you have to test, test, test but I'm hoping for some jumping off points.

4. How do you handle relief holes for layered pillars?

I haven't seen any posts on double pouring each layer (and I've searched the forum for all of these questions!) but if you just pour the second layer on top of the relief holes of the first, you'd get random "tubes" of the second color showing through the first as it burns, no?

I know I ask a lot of super basic questions but you all can't believe how helpful this forum has been in expanding my knowledge and skill over the last several months.

Every time I come here and read (practically daily!) I just get all fired up over all the different projects I'm going to try next.

Sincere thanks!

Question 1: I re-use my containers several times but always inspect to make sure there are no cracks or chips. Using first rate glass (make sure you aren't getting inferior glassware) and thicker walled containers helps to reduce the chance of breaking.

Question 2: No. Frosted or colored glassware is just fine IMHO.

Question 3: The only triple wick container I use are those blasted Libby hearts at Valentines Day. Otherwise, I don't double wick anything. I have several cases of a 4" apothecary that will take a rather large wick but it looks like a house on fire. Don't use em. I would double wick anything that won't give you a decent melt pool with a reasonable flame. If you have to have a giant wick, well, I just don't care for that. You can look around the different web sites and see tureens that are double wicked and other large 4" containers with multiple wicks.

Question 4: Don't make pillars. Sorry.

Remember: This just my opinion. HTH.

Steve

1. Should I worry about reusing glass test containers multiple times? Is there a danger that the glass becomes more prone to shatter if it's continuously reused?

I've heard people express that concern, mostly in the context of candlemakers refilling glassware for their customers. I'm not a glass expert and can't address the technicalities, but I freely re-use containers for testing purposes without worries or problems.

2. Does the color of the glass container noticeable affect burn test results? I.e., if I test a wick/FO/wax combo in a 2 ¾" diameter red glass tumbler can I safely trust that it would work the same way in the blue or frosted version of that tumbler?

As long as it's truly the same container apart from the color and finish. When containers are the same size and shape, the only thing that can throw you off is the thickness of the glass. Thicker glass is more prone to hangup.

3. Are there any rough guidelines for when you start to think of double or even triple wicking a container or pillar?

Like +3" diameter = 2 wicks, +4" = 3 wick?

I think you would get some different answers for this one. Personally I would put a safe, clean attractive burn at number one on the priority list. Single wicks in large containers can get unruly and tend to depend a lot on the user burning and maintaining the candle just right. Since users don't much care about what candlemakers want them to do, I'd consider two wicks for any container over 3 inches. I'd go so far as to say that if single-wicked 4 inch containers were banned, the world would be a better place.

4. How do you handle relief holes for layered pillars? I haven't seen any posts on double pouring each layer (and I've searched the forum for all of these questions!) but if you just pour the second layer on top of the relief holes of the first, you'd get random "tubes" of the second color showing through the first as it burns, no?

Cold-poured layered pillars have been very popular here in the past, and for those people generally stab holes through all the layers at the end. For one thing it helps keep the layers together. With hot-poured pillars, in some cases you may only need to go into the bottom layer with the relief holes. There are so many variations of waxes, additives, and techniques that it's hard to give a general answer. You have to experiment a bit and see what works.

Hi, Steve, thanks so much for the input! After one bad experience, I now am very careful about which glassware I buy. :)

& Top, I always find your answers so clear and easy to understand. They really help me get the principles behind what I'm wondering about so I can start figuring things out on my own. Thanks!

1) I reuse my glassware many many times over for testing purposes and have not as yet had one crack on me, however I would never use these for candles that are going to be sold. Once a tester, always a tester.

2) The colour of the glass should not affect the burn at all really. The only thing I have noticed is that the frosted jars seem to show any soot much more readily than the clear jars, but that could also be my imagination :)

3) Personally I dont do anything besides single wicking for containers up to 4". I use 10, 16 & 26 oz apothecary jars with a 4" diameter and if I cant get a nince burn and good throw from a single wick in whatever scent I am trying I will drop that scent rather than double or triple wick. I just dont see the point.

having said that though I am just about to experiment with yet another jar which has a 5" diameter, so unfortunately for me, that one is going to have to be double wicked. For this jar I will make the exception as I do like the jar :)

4) We do tilted layered palm pillars and we do poke relief holes between the layers. That way we do know that the candle does not contain any air pockets and will burn well, with no issues. Lets fae it when you are buring a layered pillar, the colours will mingle regardless of how you pour, so if they are somewhat mingled during pouring, it should not destry the look at all, unless you have poked too close to the sides of the mold.

HTH

1. Should I worry about reusing glass test containers multiple times? Is there a danger that the glass becomes more prone to shatter if it's continuously reused? (I am using only glass recommended for candles)

Reusing glass is fine for testing. I do not consider selling used glass in a new product. There is no way to guarantee the conditions to which a particular used container has been subjected. While it can be argued that even among new glass containers, a certain percentage will have manufacturing flaws which cause them to fail, that percentage goes up every time anything made from glass is reheated and cooled, up to and including Pyrex. While I am willing to accept those realities for my own use, I am not willing to take on the responsibility and liability for products manufactured for sale.

2. Does the color of the glass container noticeable affect burn test results?

No. Color has nothing to do with it.

I use multiple wicks so seldom that I cannot respond to this. I prefer to single wick.

4. How do you handle relief holes for layered pillars?

Relief work is not necessary with all waxes, so I am assuming we're talking about palm wax here? I perform the same relief techniques for thick layers that I would do for any palm wax candle. Extremely thin layers do not require as much attention to relief, but are incredibly tedious to make because of the labor involved. Careful attention has to be paid to the timing between pours - too long, and the layers can separate; too short and the wax will remelt and co-mingle the colors. That's more advanced work, IMHO, and should not be undertaken until someone has some pouring experience under their belt, particularly if considering selling the candles.

Thanks again for the continued help!

I feel confident about the glass questions now; color doesn't matter and safe to re-use so long as it's not going for sale/gift.

Mixed views on the >1 wick. I think I'll start testing with 1 on my 3" and 2 on my 4" jars.

As for wax, I've been playing with IGI 4630, GW 464 & Glass Glow.

Richard, good luck with your 5" jar! :shocked2:

Thanks, Stella, I actually didn't know that you do different relief work on pillars depending on the wax type. I thought what you did for any pillar you did for all.

I have both IGI 4625 & the Feathered Palm that I'll be experimenting with.

I don't think I'll ever be selling my candles, but who knows.:cheesy2:

I do this because I use so many candles myself & I enjoy making them. They're also great gifts for family, friends and co-workers who are just thrilled with the containers I've given them so far.

Right now, my priority is making a safe and properly burning pillar. I work on the aesthetics later!

Thanks all again!

I don't think I'll ever be selling my candles, but who knows.:cheesy2:

Marcy, dont underestimate your candle making results. You've asked some questions that show your keen and on the right track. Once family, friends, neighbors etc, see your candles {and smell them}, they will want one, and it eventually turns into a monster! Trust me....