Turkey Fryer

One of my turkey fryers has officially s**t the bed. It has served me well for about 4 years, so I can't complain, but now I need a replacement and I can't afford a melter right now. Does anyone know anything about the new turkey fryers? Are they suitable?

My neighbor (electronic genius) has looked at the element for my old one and doesn't know what's wrong with it. Sometimes I can get it to turn on if I bash it with a stick or something, but....

Yep, 2 weeks apart when I was gearing up for a big project. One was 20 mins from DH's office, one was 1.5 hrs away. SO worth the drive. I got a 75 lb WJ melter that had been used 4-5x and a 100 lb dual zone direct heat that had NEVER been used. Yes, I am a craigslist queen...if I am looking for something I can usually find it if I look hard enough. Both melters were in an area that I don't normally look at because of the distance but I had found one locally for more $ so I figured it was worth checking. Success!

I'm done with turkey fryers. I think I might have gotten a dud, because I went through 3 liners in one year. Each one bowed so bad that the element would not fit into the slot in the back. I too found a commercial on Craigslist. I went to google and put in "Craigslist wax melter". This will search all the craigslists across the country. Even though the one I found was five hours away, the owner graciously shipped it to me for only $25 shipping charge. So, give google a try!!!

Good luck!

Nancy

[My neighbor (electronic genius) has looked at the element for my old one and doesn't know what's wrong with it. Sometimes I can get it to turn on if I bash it with a stick or something, but....

I don't use a turkey fryer but couldn't you just replace the element?

• 2 weeks later...

How did you make out

I haven't done anything yet - I have two others and I'm just making do with those for now. I thought about getting a presto pot, too. I don't think I really need another big melter right now. As long as I have one for pillar and one for container wax, I'm good.. I just need something small for palm, parasoy pillar, etc...

Thanks for asking :cheesy2:

I only have two prestos . They only hold 8lbs though. I was thinking of getting a turkey fryer but I am cocerned cause I can't have both prestos on at the same time without blowing a breaker. I have a room in the house that I use . It has my computer, printer, TV and the presto . Even when my one presto comes on the lights dim. My husband says there is nothing he can do about it . The fryer might just put me over the edge

Edited by lrbd

I know how you feel. I have the same problem in my shop - very old building. I've had to redistribute things in there. I kept blowing a breaker with my heat gun & could not figure out why until today - then I realized that it was on the same circuit as my outside xmas lights and hot water heater.

I don't know what the wattage is for fryer vs presto pot...