UPS vs USPS

leisa2003

I use UPS all the time. I found when I first started I was using USPS but decided to try UPS and found it cheaper. It really helps to get a shippers account with them. Another thing to consider on shipping is if it is going to a business or residence. Shipping to business is cheaper than residence.

And distance makes a difference too, depending on the size and weight of the package, so you need to know the zipcode you're shipping to.

I know the weight, the size, and the zip code........... What I am asking is they dont have you put in the figures, they have you add it into a "class" a drop down box from 50 to like 175. And you multiple your height X2, width x2, length x2 to get your girth.. But I wanted to know when I put in the girth of 55, it shows a small package costing $331 dollars to ship to Washington from Ohio, so I did something wrong.

I went to Fed-Ex site and their site is easy like USPS's site.

I guess I will go over their and play around a bit and see if I can figure it out.

I know the weight, the size, and the zip code........... What I am asking is they dont have you put in the figures, they have you add it into a "class" a drop down box from 50 to like 175. And you multiple your height X2, width x2, length x2 to get your girth.. But I wanted to know when I put in the girth of 55, it shows a small package costing $331 dollars to ship to Washington from Ohio, so I did something wrong.

I guess I will go over their and play around a bit and see if I can figure it out.

Figured it out, its "normal" when you set up an account.. Thanks for the suggestion on opening an acct, it made things MUCH easier.

Leisa

Edited by leisa2003

Just wanted to post, that I put in some "fake" numbers into the calcualting shipping costs to the same destinations on both sites of UPS and Fed-Ex, and actually Fed-Ex shows to be the cheapest of all, for mailing things over 5 lbs.

Just thought I would share this!

How about boxes?? I use USPS Priority mainly because of the free boxes... I figure if I had to buy shipping boxes that would add $$ onto each order,,,, so I usually choose USPS, free boxes and the flat rate shipping - - (unless the order is pretty large) I think it's hard to beat. Most of my orders average around 2-3 lbs.

Just my 2 cents :)