New recipe worked!

Xraytech70

So after the "sausage soap" fiasco, I decided to create a recipe (5 oils, 1 butter) that I fragranced with BB's Oatmeal, Milk and Honey FO. I lightened it all up with titanium dioxide and put in a little swirl of color in the middle (copper mica). After sitting for an hour, it was hardening up nicely, and I was so excited because it was going to be so pretty! Then, about 2 hours after that, I checked on it and it was like it regurgitated it's insides and was really liquid and thin pudding-like. Ruined the whole gorgeous top I created. So, disgusted, I left it until morning. All hardened up now, and cut into bars to finish doing it's thing. The bottom, has a "cracked glass" appearance to it. It looks kinda neat, but what on earth caused it?? My stepdaughter thinks it looks like cheesecake. I gave her a slice to smell and she was going to take a bite to taste it until she realized it was my soap!!:laugh2:

My "sausage soap" was a rebatch of a pumpkin spice soap gone horribly wrong...I put it in a round mold for the rebatch and when I sliced it, it looked like something off of a meat and cheese tray! Totally hilarious, but still the ugliest soap I've ever laid eyes on.

Hard to answer the cracked glass look without you posting your recipe and amounts and what method you were using (CP, CPHP, HP etc.). Seeing a picture could help too.

It's possible it got too hot, which will cause some cracking, but that's usually on top. It's possible your recipe had too many hard oils too, but can't say that without seeing your recipe or what method you used to make the soap.

You're probably right about the hard oils. I did cold process. Here is my recipe:

8 oz coconut oil

8 oz olive oil

5 oz WM GV shortening

5 oz lard

3 oz Castor oil

1 oz cocoa butter

10.8 oz H2O

2.26 oz lye

I only got the cracked glass look on the bottom of the slices near the middle of the loaf, where the regurgitation was mostly taking place. I came up with this recipe because I wanted a hard bar and a middle of the road balance of conditioning, creaminess and bubbles. I think once it cures it will be a great bar of soap. I've heard of adding sugar to the lye to increase bubbles--does that work? Maybe the FO got it too hot. I'm taking notes so I can see what happens next time I make it. I did run it thru soapcalc at 36% H2O. Dumb question, but do you need to discount or increase water further when using FO? Going to try to figure out how to post pictures...

Edited by Xraytech70
additional comment about pictures