FO help!

shessuchatart

Quick intro, then my question: Just started into wickless melt making (I think I read somewhere "tart" is tm'd, haven't hit the site to check yet, so I'm working on getting used to not using that word), not looking to maked wicked products. Have made wicked before, years ago as a hobby but enough has changed I won't even count that as experiance, lol. Looking to go with soy since that seems to be the hot product of choice now and I may as well learn to use the wax that will be preferred, or so it seems anyway. Haven't ordered my bulk wax yet, just playing with craft store stuff for now. Most likely going with Ecosoya (can't recall the name, but the votive/tart version). Will be going with molds, standard scalloped and shapes (like the bakery style). Have my LLC, but not my DBA (which, btw, is not going to be related to my SN, I was just feeling creative) and insurance yet, still researching labeling requirements and different insurance co's (Most definately NOT selling ANYTHING yet wax creation wise) as well as suppliers and different options on the supplies (like different soy brands). So that's me in a paragraph.

Now, my question, now that you have a basic background. I am about going crazy looking for some scents. It seems a lot of suppliers like to provide "pre blended" scents (like Monkey Farts). I'd rather find basic scents and mix my own. Is there a good reason they are selling ones that are already made up (like strawberry and chocolate scents to make your own chocolate covered strawberries for instance-totally made that up off the top of my head, those might be available)? If there isn't a good reason, is there a good supplier of basic scents? I'm hunting things like butter, popcorn, hot sauce, rasberry, blackberry and others.

Edited by shessuchatart

First off...Welcome to the board. I only make tarts now myself as well as B&B products. Tried doing wicked products but it just wasn't my thing. I use mostly pre-blended scents because there are so many good ones out there that I just do not feel the need to experiment. The only ones I do mix myself are those with coffee, vanilla's and chocolate. Maybe one day I'll become adventuresome :smiley2:. My favorite suppliers are Nature's Garden, Aroma Haven and Candlescience. Occasionally I'll use WSP or Just Scents. Shipping costs play an important factor in who I use for my FO's. So many suppliers out there. The nice thing about blending your own is you can control how much of a certain scent you want to bring out. Perhaps down the road I'll experiment further but for now I'm happy to let the suppliers do that for me. Money being what it is now and just starting out myself, I can't afford to "waste" anything.

If you come up with some amazing combinations, please post your findings. We're always looking for something yummy.

Again, welcome .

Karen

My work load would double if I had to make all of my own FO blends. Most of my customers are looking for complex and designer scents. My nose is simply not good enough to pick up on the all of the notes in a designer fragrance in order to produce a candle to meet their expectations. So I let companies like Candle science, KY and Peaks do that for me. My hands are full at just working on the testing and making end of the candle and tarts.

Blending your own scents can be tricky. While a supplier's scent may be called Chocolate Covered Strawberries, there are actually other fragrances mixed in there besides just chocolate and strawberry. As a general rule, there are always top notes, middle notes, and bottom notes.

Regardless, blending may be your thing, so blend away....and welcome to the addiction!! :)

Thanks everyone! I will hunt throough all of the companies mentioned to see if they have the base scents I (think) I'm looking for. I hadn't really thought that a scent might have more than the main scents in it (like the chocolate covered strawberries for instance). I'm looking to come up with a few scents I've never seen to help set myself apart from all the other tart makers. I can see how with the economy this will be a competitive niche, since not only do you have the customers that preferred handpoured but might have bought commerically produced that have been pushed into the commercially produced by finances, but you also have more people looking to find another way to make ends meet and might be turning to candle making as they think it's as easy as melting, mixing and pouring some wax and scent.

Thanks again,!!