Driving distance to pick up wax

pixie

Im just wondering, when you all consider the different wax suppliers, how far are you willing to drive for it to be considered within "driving distance"?

I was thinking an hour. My husband says within 4 hours. What is acceptable to you?

It depends on how much I would save by driving to the supplier.

For example, if by driving 200 miles each way to pick up a 50-lb case of wax saves me $20-25, it would not be worth it, IMO. I could stay home making more tarts, I would save gas money, and I wouldn't have to deal with all the holiday crazies on the road :laugh2:

Ditto what Ravens said. I drive an hour just to go to work.

I think if i was within 3 or 4 hours and I had the day to kill and I was buying more than a couple of cases I would do it. My closest supplier is around 10 hours or so away so I let them ship it.

But the next time my boyfreind or his sister go visit their cousin where that supplier is I will let them bring some wax home for me. :laugh2:

I have done this lots of times. Candles and Supplies happens to be 3 1/2 hrs drive from my home and I have saved a ton on shipping by driving. Also-- on the way back I stop off at Fillmore Containers to get jars, lids, and FOs. (They have some wonderful FOs BTW).

So in 1 trip I can get my wax, jars, wicks, FOs, butters & oils and M&P soap supplies. Believe me they weigh a lot so I save a lot in shipping.

Its a day trip but worth it when it comes to saving me shipping expenses.

I still use a lot of different suppliers but when I need a lot at once I just make a trip to PA.:smiley2:

Boy I sure would do that if I lived near PA! Or Ohio. As it is I can go west to Peak or North or South to BCN/BCS and they are the closest. Lonestar is in TX too I think. Definitely an overnight trip for me.

Being this close to the dead center of the country is not great for shipping costs...

My business partner and I were just discussing this tonight! Even though it is definitely an over-nighter for us to go to PA to pick up wax, we may take a "road trip" and treat ourselves! It is definitely not the cheapest way to go, but it is more fun.

I wish we had our wax supplier closer - I hate paying shipping on that stuff!! But at least our glass supplier is within an hours drive....