UPS shipment insurance

Dana

I just shipped a wholesale order and paid for the extra insurance for up to $600. The package weighed 130lbs. and I had them package it for me. The jars of candles were in boxes, but nothing in between each jar. I had just put the candles back in the case box that the jars came in. They told me I better get insurance because the packages roll off a conveyor and drop about 3 ft! I asked if they could put a fragile sticker on the box and he said it wouldn't matter because it has to go off that conveyor. Well, to make a long story even longer, The package arrived damaged. Several jars were broken and chipped and cracked. Now from what I understand...(or don't really agree with) she files the claim, even though I paid for the insurance. She gets reimbursed for I guess (?) the wholesale cost of the candles that were broken. For some reason, I feel cheated. All that hard work I did too make those candles and all because UPS lets them roll right off a conveyor and drop to the floor! You would think it would be to costly for a company to pay for all the claims. Anyway, my real reason for concern is what about all the jars that did not break? Are they still safe or did a bunch get weakened from the fall? The business owner has already sold many, many of them....she doesn't even know how many. I guess I feel cheated because I paid for the insurance, she gets her money back, but I have the burden of worrying about the rest of the candles and all that hard work -broken.

It was her idea to ship them this time. We usually meet about half way and handle the boxes ourselves. I never charge her for this even though I drive 20 miles (she drives double that). Her shipping cost was $79.90 this time...and that was a VERY small order. It is usually 4 times that amount, so I think that will be the last time I ship to her!

What do you all do about shipping large wholesale orders? What is the safest, cheapest way?

I know. That's why I'm kinda upset. They even knew how they were in the boxes w/out extra padding but didn't tell me to do anything different. I told them to package it into 2 different boxes if they had to to get some extra popcorn and to make them lighter (less chance of droppage) but they tried 2 different boxes to try to get it all into one box. The popcorn was really only at the top from what I could tell. But the thing is, those 2 boxes on the top were the jars that broke!

I spoke to the lady that helped me that day (along with the owner that actually boxed them) and she said the receiver files the claim, but online it says either the shipper or the receiver can file it. This little UPS store has been in business a long time too! I don't know if they are trying to protect themselves or what.:confused: Maybe they are changing policy because it won't let me file the claim online for some reason. After I put the tracking number in it changes to a totally different area that has nothing to do with filing a claim. Don't know what's up with that.

Dana - Found this page with the claim information. Looks to me like the claim is paid to the shipper, that's you. I think it's worth the time to read it. http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/claims/hlp/damage_process.html

Hope it helps.

ETA: And this is the link to their packaging guidelines to discuss with the packager. Also contains a list of reasons why they can deny your claim.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/claims/hlp/preventing.html

Edited by Judy, USMC
Added link