Organic soap?

Miadrianel Candles

Ok what makes a soap organic? Is it using organic oils in it instead of say super market bought oils? Or is there more to the process than just the oils?

I'm asking because there's somebody that claims they're teaching organic soap making classes locally. And wondered if there was anything different about the process. Or is it just a promo pitch?

Dan

So in definition everybody that states that they make organic soap is pretty much stretching the truth?

That's pretty much why asked I mean there's a chemical process involved which changes the properties of what was an organic product I guess..

Could this term actually be used to describe a soap that has no foreign stuff in the materials used? Or it would still be misleading? I mean you are using organic oils which are not supposed to be adulterated with any other ingredients or chemicals.

"sigh" Semantics?

Dan

Organic refers to a product that is pesticide free, minimally processed and as close to natural state as possible. I suppose you could say that you got olive oil from trees that have not been sprayed or caged or mistreated in any way......in this case this is a load of bull. IMHO. You process oils and use chemical methods in some cases to distill oils and fragrances. I mean human beings are organic but some have been processes more than others and some are full of pesticides.

nothing makes a soap organic.

soap isn't organic.

lye isn't organic.

you can make soap with organic oils, but that doesn't make the soap organic.

<steps off of soapbox before she really gets rolling>

:laugh2:

Oh my, you and I could get into a great (agreeing) rant about that whole thing.

There is this soaper who sells these "organic" bars with all these exotic oils in them for next to nothing. Because her selling point is organic, she does well, but I can tell by looking at her ingredients that she is practically giving them away.

I take issue with the word "organic" unless you sat there and watched it grow, fed it distilled water and watched the entire process from plant to oil/butter, than you cannot, in good conscious call anything organic.

And then, there is the lye.

I just say "I keep my formulations as natural as possible".

There is this soaper who sells these "organic" bars with all these exotic oils in them for next to nothing. Because her selling point is organic, she does well, but I can tell by looking at her ingredients that she is practically giving them away.

If she's practically giving them away, dollars to donuts they aren't made from organic oils anyway. Whether she knows it (likely) or not (possibly).