Need to Vent...PITA customers

barncat

So much for doing customers/friends a favor. I let an aquitance order below my minimum order and use paypal as a favor. Well she refereed a new customer to me. THis lady thinks she should get the special treatment too. She has emailed me a dozen times, keeps calling and has even faxed me...shes mad because I wont take paypal and wants her order rushed. Then what does she do, sends me a money order for only part of the amount due. I have wasted more time with this cutstomer complaining that I've about had enough. Im soon at the point where I'm ready to send her money back and say sorry I dont want to do business anymore. I have the right to refuse busines with pain in the butt customers !!! I defeinately need to post that on my website...or better yet charge a $20 PITA fee.:P

If she wants a rush order tell her you can do it, but a premium charge is added to the cost of the order. Make it a ridiculous amount dependant upon the size of her order. A $50 surcharge sounds about right for a small order. If she decides she would rather wait than pay the fee, make it several weeks (3-4, maybe even 6) before her order will be ready--it is the busiest time of the year for making candles, right? You've got a manufacturing process in place and she needs to deal with it or find someone else to work with. That's a good way to ditch a customer.

What I don't understand is why this acquaintance of yours told the new customer about the special treatment she got. Did you explain to her that it was just for that one order and you were doing her a favor? Sounds like a miscommunication to me between the two of you and not the new customer.

I would do something similar to what sockmonkey mentioned. Let your new customer know that you don't take paypal and were only doing it as a favor to this other person. Make sure she understands your policies and have some in place for customers that want a 'rush' job and also clarify your payment options including how/when you will be paid.

Good luck.

You learned a valuable lesson with your friend unfortunately. I never, ever give anyone a 'special deal' on price or payment, not even family. I give extra little goodies free to them instead. I personally would send her money order back......definately don't cash it, cause if you do that means you accept her terms! :cool2:

I like the PITA fee idea...I think I will put a disclaimer on my website.

I had a customer leave me a nasty negative feedback because she didn't read my shipping policy...Another customer ordered 6 bags of tart melts, waited two weeks to pay me and wanted to know if her order was ready yet...now she's back for round two and is asking if she can pay me later...I think I am going to drop this one...some customers are just too much work.