Shelf Life

There is no definite answer to that question because that depends on how you define "shelf life."

Most veggie wax packaged from the manufacturer is good for at least a year when stored properly. Because soy wax is unstable, after it's poured, it can change form as it ages. A candle can look perfect when boxed up, but continue to change its form due to the polymorphic nature of soy wax. This can occur because of the methods and materials used to manufacture the candle as well as the conditions under which the candle is stored (temperature, humidity, etc.). Sometimes it begins to frost a little; other times it frosts so much the color of the candle is obliterated. Worst is when the wax does the "cauliflowering" morph where the wax seems to grow and cover the wick and top with "brainy" lookin' stuff. Some folks think fungus is growing on those candles, but it's just one of the odd things soy wax can do.

NONE of these issues affect the burn quality of the candle, but they sure can ruin the appearance. :)

Like many homemade products, soy candles are best when used fresh. :)

NONE of these issues affect the burn quality of the candle, but they sure can ruin the appearance. :)

Actually, the cauliflowering thing is liable to render the candle unusable if it happens.

Even without a dramatic effect like cauliflowering, the wax level can rise as it frosts over time. When I did my long-term testing with a lot of different fragrances, I cut the wicks so they'd fit under the lids of the tins without being bent over. In actual practice that would have been a bad move, as many of them got partially or completely swallowed. It's probably a good idea to leave ample wick exposed when storing soy candles, and not go overboard with the fill level.

Just another one of those things you don't have to worry about with paraffin and parasoy candles. The way they come out is the way they stay, indefinitely.

Actually, the cauliflowering thing is liable to render the candle unusable if it happens.

Even without a dramatic effect like cauliflowering, the wax level can rise as it frosts over time. When I did my long-term testing with a lot of different fragrances, I cut the wicks so they'd fit under the lids of the tins without being bent over. In actual practice that would have been a bad move, as many of them got partially or completely swallowed. It's probably a good idea to leave ample wick exposed when storing soy candles, and not go overboard with the fill level.

Just another one of those things you don't have to worry about with paraffin and parasoy candles. The way they come out is the way they stay, indefinitely.

Since you have done some long term testing on this.. What's the smallest percentage of paraffin you would add to soy to get the long shelf life? Paraffin and Beeswax last forever. Just haven't tested on which would extend soy candles looks/life indefinitely. TIA

I had some Halloween candles from last year that didn't sell. I use a 70/30 parablend wax and 6% fo pp. Most of the candles were fine but a few had no fragrance and on test barely burned. The candles were covered with the sealing Saranwrap and stored in a cool place with no sunlight exposure. I gave the candles away as appreciation gifts to my good customers, instead of selling them. They smell great and look just fine for the most part. I'd be hesitant about selling really old product, if for no other reason than quality control. IMHO

Steve

the wicks were almost totally consumed by the wax.

Yep. Kinda like the reverse of cotton candy. :) The crystals morph over time especially if stored even slightly too warm. So long as you can light the wick, the candle will burn fine, although I would not sell one like that. You can heatgun the top and expose more wick if it's too short to light. The morphed formation is not as dense as it was originally (thus the "growing" appearance), so melting the top reduces the level again.

the cauliflowering thing is liable to render the candle unusable if it happens

When this happened to me, there were several candles in the flat. After questioning, I discovered that the gal routinely set hot pots on top of the flat of candles, using them as a trivet (god preserve me from idiots!). I took 'em home, heatgunned the tops, which exposed the wick, and they all burned quite well. I would not sell them after that, but I enjoyed them immensely! :)

. Worst is when the wax does the "cauliflowering" morph where the wax seems to grow and cover the wick and top with "brainy" lookin' stuff. Some folks think fungus is growing on those candles,

I have never seen a soy candle do that.. Learned something new today.

Since you have done some long term testing on this.. What's the smallest percentage of paraffin you would add to soy to get the long shelf life? Paraffin and Beeswax last forever. Just haven't tested on which would extend soy candles looks/life indefinitely. TIA

Hmmm, I dunno precisely. I did actually test that in some way once but didn't keep notes on it. It depends on what exactly you add, but I'd say maybe 10% or even a bit less.

I think the problem is that there's nothing you can add at such a low percentage that won't make the wax a little wonky in some way. You usually need more than one ingredient and higher percentages to get something good. A "mostly soy" blend is trickier than a "mostly paraffin" blend.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

I have never seen a soy candle do that.. Learned something new today.
Sorry I don't have a "brainy" picture of soy, but here's one of the same style morph, but not soy wax - it's glass glow palm wax! :shocked2: The FO was wild mountain honey which causes my C3 to frost terribly, but it smells so good, I still use it anyway. I had avoided the frosting by using it in palm wax pillars. My "container" customers missed it, so I made several with Glass Glow, which didn't frost. The tester smelled & burned great!! BUT when I went to clean out the tester jar (it had set around, covered, for several months), THIS is what I found: *faint*

grossglassglow2.jpg

grossglassglow1.jpg

Moral of story: veggie wax is stranger than fiction. :laugh2: