J223 and zinc

Hi everyone!

Okay, so Ive used J223 for about 6 years and always used HTP (which I have a love/hate relationship with.) Ive read that zinc wicks work really well with this wax. My question......I know nothing about zinc and its sizes. Can anyone suggest a starting off point in size for a 16oz apothecary jar. Im assuming I'll have to double wick. Any suggestions on ANY good wicks for this wax. Ive since moved to soy and love it, but would like to perfect my paraffin too.....Thanks to all who reply!:)

I am currently using ECOs on my soy candles.....Do those burn well with J223?

Edited by tgreeson

No matter what wax you use (at least as far as paraffin goes), someone will swear by zinc core wicks.

I'm not saying that's wrong or that you shouldn't try them, but I'm more interested in what you're trying to improve with a wick change. What is it about the performance of the HTPs you don't like?

Since you've been using HTP for this long, I think you might find it interesting to try CD and see how the results compare. CD would be a less radical change since it's a similar type of wick, but it's definitely different. When comparing in the same application, sometimes I find that both types work but often I find that CD works better.

ECO could be worth a try, but it's not the first thing I'd try for J223. Since these wicks were designed more for vegetable waxes, you don't have a lot of size options towards the smaller end of the range. Other than that they work very well.

Thanks so much for the replies...I actually may try the CDs...I have some. I just have too much shrooming, or soot or drowning with HTPs. They just drive me nuts to work with. Even in soy they drive me crazy, I definately prefer the ECOs in soy. Thanks everyone, I have some LXs and CDs ....I'll try em tonight.

Thanks so much for the replies...I actually may try the CDs...I have some. I just have too much shrooming, or soot or drowning with HTPs. They just drive me nuts to work with. Even in soy they drive me crazy, I definately prefer the ECOs in soy. Thanks everyone, I have some LXs and CDs ....I'll try em tonight.

What size HTPs do you use? And how much fragrance?