Hand Sanitizer?

icecold

I made some up from BCS and it is great!! I scented it with Mac Apple and brought it to the fair with me and made sure everyone I was with used it, didn't want anyone to get swine with all those pigs there!!!! :laugh2: . They all loved it. The scent stayed for quite a while. So what do you think a 4oz bottle should go for at my show?

"EFFICACY AND APPROVAL OF ALCOHOL-BASED HAND GELS

All alcohol-based hand gels applied to human skin are drugs, and must be covered by FDA's Over-the-Counter (OTC) Drug Review or by an FDA-approved new drug application to be legally marketed in the United States. Further, all ingredients, including emollients and perfumes that are constituents of alcohol hand gels used in retail and food service operations must be approved as indirect food additives."

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:kJ0pkQV5bf0J:vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/handhyg.html+hand+sanitizer+FDA+approval&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

(forgive the highlights, it came with the link)

I don't know if the base's approval (assuming it has one) carries to you if you add fragrance.

"EFFICACY AND APPROVAL OF ALCOHOL-BASED HAND GELS

All alcohol-based hand gels applied to human skin are drugs, and must be covered by FDA's Over-the-Counter (OTC) Drug Review or by an FDA-approved new drug application to be legally marketed in the United States. Further, all ingredients, including emollients and perfumes that are constituents of alcohol hand gels used in retail and food service operations must be approved as indirect food additives."

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:kJ0pkQV5bf0J:vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/handhyg.html+hand+sanitizer+FDA+approval&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

(forgive the highlights, it came with the link)

I don't know if the base's approval (assuming it has one) carries to you if you add fragrance.

Question for you as I think you are pretty smart about this stuff. If you added something like jojoba oil to a sanitizer base like the kind being discussed here, do you think it would decrease the HS'ers ability/effectiveness to disinfect?

I contacted BCN Tech support and was told that adding fo would not change its meeting FDA regulations unless it was used in food prep. So if you are selling to some type of food establishment, then you would need to sell it unscented. But for home use like most of us sell it for, you would be ok.

HTH

Edited by CandleMama6

If you added something like jojoba oil to a sanitizer base like the kind being discussed here, do you think it would decrease the HS'ers ability/effectiveness to disinfect?

I imagine it would. The base I use has no suggestions for additions beyond scent and color.

I'd contact the manufacturer to be sure before I attempted adding anything else.

To be an effective formula it must contain a minimum of 60% alcohol. You'd need to know exactly how close your formula is to that before considering adding anything that might drop it below 60%.

On the up side, hand sanitizers are bound to be popular this year. One report just suggested that sales of it were up 50% this season!

Yes, I add just under 1% FO to it (1/8 oz per lb) and just mix it up. I actually fold an open ziplock bag over my pyrex cup, add the base, scent & a drop of liquid soap coloring or a touch of mica. Once I get everything in the bag I seal it all up & shake/kneed it until everything is mixed up and snip the corner of the bag to fil my bottles. Easy as can be. If I need to make multiple batches I have used the pampered chef type bag clips to seal the corner I clipped to make another bag full (reusing the bag). When I am done with that scent I can chuck the bag and the clean up is a breeze. I do the same thing with their lotion base.

Edited by mparadise

According to the BC measurement chart 1 % is 1.29 oz per 128 oz (full gallon) or 1/6 oz an oz per lb BUT I still get very strongly scented sanitizers with the 1/8 oz per lb. with most scents (unless they are light to begin with. I thought it wasn't going to be enough either but I tried it anyway and was pleasantly surprised!

Here's a link to their chart that breaks it down into measurements for smaller batches. It's a great resource to have if you are only doing a few oz as a tester with a new base or FO.

http://www.candlesupply.com/BBfochart.html

If you are looking for another seasonal scent BCS Pumpkin Cheesecake is yummy. otherwise maybe go with a "safe" scent like Vanilla (I use Vanilla Bean Supreme from BCN with good results). Others that do well for me are lavender, pink sugar, lovespell, vanilla grapefruit, cedar & saffron, blackberry sage, lemon and unscented.