Natural Soap Bases

Lorraine

Has anyone had any experience with the Essentials by Catalina"s Natural Soap Bases? Did you find them drying to the skin? Do they harden up nicely like the SFIC bases do?

I find the SFIC drying to my skin. I've added some extra oils and that helped a little. I like the way the bars are good and hard after they set up, as opposed to the WSP Natural Bases, which I really do like, except that they never really harden back up nicely, but instead remain bendable. Please share your thoughts on the Essentials by Catalina's Natural Soap Bases......Thank you!

That was a wonderful thread! I read it 2+ times, but no one ever said whether or not they truly liked the EBC natural soap bases:(

Can someone who has used it, or is using it, please just tell me if the soap bars made with the EBC natural bases get at least as hard as the SFIC bars do when they set up? I can always add stuff for moisture and lather if that is an issue...but I like a decently hard bar of soap!

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks...

I've been using the white base and had to add several ingredients to make the bars hard. Its a very soft base and personally I won't ever buy it again once I use up what I purchased. I much prefer the bases I have been getting at C&S.

But if you want to buy them I would also get some palm stearic and coconut oil or beeswax to add to the base to harden the bars. Their gonna need it!

Thank you for your reply, Candybee. I truly appreciate it. I had a sneaky suspicion that the bars would be soft. I almost put an order in for the soap today and then decided to post here one more time before I do. I really appreciate your honesty and help since I am only a hobbyist and it takes me some time to go through an order of soap! It's just for me, dh, and some gifts for family and friends.......A million thanks!

Don't be afraid to try out a new brand of M&P. There are people here on this board that swear by Essentials by Catalina bases. PrairieAnnie in particular makes fabulous goat milk soap using it. I know because I got a bar in a swap one year. Very nice.

Whatever base you decide to get you have to learn how to work with it. I have tried many bases from several different suppliers including EBC and the ones I prefer are from C&S.

I've been using the white base and had to add several ingredients to make the bars hard. Its a very soft base and personally I won't ever buy it again once I use up what I purchased.

I totally agree with this. I purchased it once and never again. I also found the base too bubbly.

On antoher note, I never had any issue at all with the natural bases from WSP being bendable. I think they work great. Did you possibly put in too many additives?

Its been a while but I do remember trying out block of white base from WSP. It was soft too but that wasn't my main concern. That base I used did not accept very much in the way of additives-- particularly oils and or butters. I quit using that base too for this reason. That was just unacceptable for my use.

Noodle~ I really like the WSP natural bases but have that one thing against them...being bendable. The first time I made some soap with the natural GM, I didn't add anything but FO and a little color. The next time I made soap I added FO, no color, a tiny bit of shea butter and some white table sugar... the sugar helped to harden the bar up! Until I got to the end of the bar where it became very pliable again. I'm going to try adding a little more sugar and some of the Dr. Bronners organic liquid soap next time to help with more lather, as some have suggested on the board. Here is where I have to agree with Candybee, the base does not accept much in the way of additives and it feels like I'm adding one thing to combat this or that, and then another to combat what I just added! I'm not going to give up yet though! It's a challenge!

Okay, I see what you mean. I have never used the goats milk base. I put a lot in the way of additives with no problems at all. Nothing bends. Perhaps is is the type of additives that is the issue.

Not sure if it's the type of additives:confused: Maybe I'm heating the soap to too high a temp???

quietgirl~ good question! Wondering the same!

Noodle~ I really like the WSP natural bases but have that one thing against them...being bendable. The first time I made some soap with the natural GM, I didn't add anything but FO and a little color. The next time I made soap I added FO, no color, a tiny bit of shea butter and some white table sugar... the sugar helped to harden the bar up! Until I got to the end of the bar where it became very pliable again. I'm going to try adding a little more sugar and some of the Dr. Bronners organic liquid soap next time to help with more lather, as some have suggested on the board. Here is where I have to agree with Candybee, the base does not accept much in the way of additives and it feels like I'm adding one thing to combat this or that, and then another to combat what I just added! I'm not going to give up yet though! It's a challenge!

Lorraine-- adding sugar to your base will compromise the lather and it does not 'harden' the base as you think.

To harden the base use palm stearic, coconut oil, olive oil, or beeswax.

I use a combo of 1 tsp stearic & 1 tsp CO per lb with all my soaps.

Bump to hopefully an answer from some of you. Is everyone still using the natural soap base from Essentials by Catalina

I don't know of anyone who was using the Natural soap base from EBC. I use their regular white.. I love it, and think it's the best out there. Someone did give me some of the natural to try, and I haven't done that yet.