Soap Art

vberkesch

Hi all,

Question for all you soap artists. I have been making soap for a while now and I do the swirling and some other artistic impressions in my homemade soap - LOVE doing this!

My question - I am having trouble making many dots & hearts on top of my slab soaps. The soap starts thickening too soon and I need to put a lot of dots on yet.

I'm afraid to go too light a trace, because I do not want a BAD batch of soap. Do you all use a special instrument to apply the dots with? I have been using droppers & the soap will start getting thick in the droppers.

I do a 40% discount as the soap cures well this way - could this be part of my problem, maybe go with less of a discount?

Thanks all, this board is wonderful - Vanessa

If you want to do more art with your soap, add some water back in, go with a 35% or 33% water discount. This will allow for a longer trace time. Myself, I don't even look for trace. I get my oils and lye emulsified, and I will start working with it for swirls and such. With a well tested recipe and fo, working with the soap just emsulified or at a thin trace should not be a problem.