Noob looking for direction...

Hello all, I could really use some input. I am new to the candle making scene, well I have yet to make a candle actually but very interested. I am not looking to make them for profit, but more or less for another hobby. I am looking for direction on where to even begin. Should I buy a Candle Kit first, or actually buy the items individually? After a few hours of searching the web I have found many places for different scents, and I wouldnt want to be limited to what the "kit" gives me. Any input or thought on this would be great!

Thanks for pointing a Noob in the right direction! :cheesy2:

People will tell you to start reading the forum, but before you get yourself confused with too much information or conflicting information, I would start with some simple instructions and make an easy candle of whatever type interests you.

The best thing would be to start with a plain pillar, standard votives, or a glass tumbler that's not too big. Find the link on the left side of your screen that says Basic Instructions and you'll find a nice step-by-step illustrated guide to making any of those types of candles.

Go to the website of a good supplier and but the materials and equipment specified in the instructions. If the supplier offers candlemaking kits you could consider those if you like. A lot of people start off with a kit but that's just an option.

If you keep it simple and don't worry too much, I don't think you'll need our help to make that first candle. Come back and let us know how it went. Maybe put a picture in the gallery.

Have fun and welcome to the board.

Welcome to the forum. And to one wicked-sick addiction if you end up liking it. ;)

Top gave good advice. I'm a "doer" so I would say find a supplier and order a kit to your liking (pillar, container, votive). The more you read, the more you'll learn and the better your candles will be. Especially since you're looking for hobby, definitely get your hands on some wax soon!!!

I'd start with a kit, which tends to come with most everything you need. If you find that it is something you want to continue to do, then go in pursuit of additional fragrances. If you find it isn't, you haven't invested a lot into ... "Oh, I want this, and this, and this ..." type of thing.

There are some great video tutorials on You Tube. You can get a good idea of the basic necessities for candle making from watching those videos. You can cheap out by using the double boiler method for melting wax or you can buy a hot plate, old coffee carafe and a candy thermometer for the basics. I started with a votive kit and picked out 10 fragrances and some liquid dye and bought votive holders at the dollar store. Printed up some labels and put them in cello bags and gave them for Valentines gifts with my business card. It was a good place to start and led me down a path of no return..lol. I graduated to buying slabs of wax and jelly jars......and on and on.

Steve

Yep, I would start with a kit for the kind of candle that you like the most. For me, it was votives. That was nearly 3 years ago and I have branched out to include jars, tarts, cp soap, diffusers, perfumes & body sprays, lip balms, aroma beads and ornies, body butters, and dabbling with scrubs. Welcome to the addiction! :)

First, I would like to thank all if you that replied. I am really looking forward to making some candles! I am heading to the local hobby lobby tomorrow night after work to get my first kit. I will be sure to keep you all posted on how they turn out! :-)

You might do some searches with hobby lobby to see what specific info you could get. Personally, I would go for a supplier that does nothing but candle and soap supplies. I think you might get better results and valuable information if you have problems. Hobby Lobby staff aren't going to be much help. JMO

Steve

What kind of candles are you making? You may be able to get jars locally at Wal Mart or Dollar Tree, then just order some wax, wicks, and fragrance. I bought a kit once, it was okay, but after reading on here and figuring out what kind of candles you want to make, you may just as well create your own.

Good luck and have fun!!

Karen

First, I would like to thank all if you that replied. I am really looking forward to making some candles! I am heading to the local hobby lobby tomorrow night after work to get my first kit. I will be sure to keep you all posted on how they turn out! :-)

Um I'd look for a kit somewhere else, like online from a supplier. A HL kit isn't going to be all that enduring in what it contains and I don't know that you'll be happy with any fragrances in it either.

Um I'd look for a kit somewhere else, like online from a supplier. A HL kit isn't going to be all that enduring in what it contains and I don't know that you'll be happy with any fragrances in it either.

Well, I did go to Hobby Lobby and was very disappointed with what they had. Or should I say that they had almost nothing at all. So, now I am in the hunt of what I should buy to start my own "kit". What is recommended?

So, now I am in the hunt of what I should buy to start my own "kit". What is recommended?

Um, that Basic Instructions link over on the left is still recommended. Choose which candle type you want to make and there will be a list of what you need. Order from a real candle supplier and follow the step-by-step.

Listen to Top, he knows everything. Seriously he does. :yay::yay:

Hi ya top. :grin2:

But anywho, Like others have said.

Order from a "real" supplier. Please.......

Not only for quality and their knowledge, but also for price..

I was just in a Michaels and AC Moore and can not believe

how bad they are trying to gouge people for supplies.

Unreal.

Plus their wax, scents etc can not even come close to what

our suppliers sells us.

Find yourself a good supplier like mentioned, Follow the

instructions on left for whichever candle you want to start

out with and go from there.

And gotta add this...Read read and read more.

It is a fun thing to do and you might find that your hobby

idea might turn into a fulltime addiction.....

Just ask me and a whole lotta others how we know :laugh2:

The kits tend to be a decent deal, but one thing I'd recommend just to make things more pleasant is a digital oven thermometer, the kind with a 2-4' long cord and a temperature probe. Most have a hi-temp alarm as well. Sure beats squinting at the candy thermo that comes with the kits. Also, most kits come with a 4lb pot, and I find a 1lb pot much easier to work with. Peak has a 1lb pot kit, however.

I still have a lot of the mats that came with my kit because the colors and scents didn't suit me, though. Neither did the 3" by 6" pillar, since I like 1.5" to 2.5" pillars no more than 5" tall...

All depends what the kit costs vs. individual items, and what you want to make.

Main thing to avoid? Ordering too much equipment the first time.

I, ah, did not avoid that, but fortunately I love the hobby.