Help

:yay:Hey everybody my name is Al I am new to this and would like to start by saying HI. I have two questions today my first one is I am making cinamon bun today with IGI 6006 and would like to know how much brown I should add to get a good color or what other color to try. My other question is I have been getting sink hole with my 9 oz hex jar they are not horrible but I dont want to pour twice. I read that people recomend to use a heating pad. Is that the only way around this?

Hi Al,

Well, I am pretty new at this too, so I'm no expert, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth. :smiley2:

When I don't know how much color I want, or I am blending dyes, I put a little on a white foam plate....that's what I lay my thermometer and wooden spoon on anyway.. it dries very quickly and you can get an idea of how it will look.

When I get sink holes, I have to use a heat gun. At first I used a hair dryer, but from all I read on here and other places, a heat gun works best. I am still having issues with using a heat gun though. It does smooth out the top of the candle, but also makes it more frosty, or sometimes it looks "dried out". My daughter loves the frosty look though.

:yay:Hey everybody my name is Al I am new to this and would like to start by saying HI. I have two questions today my first one is I am making cinamon bun today with IGI 6006 and would like to know how much brown I should add to get a good color or what other color to try. My other question is I have been getting sink hole with my 9 oz hex jar they are not horrible but I dont want to pour twice. I read that people recomend to use a heating pad. Is that the only way around this?
Edited by GailC

Welcome to the forum, almaga1979. :)

What kind of color are you using? Liquid or blocks? How much wax are you using? Depending on your FO it might color the wax a bit, so you might need to simply play with it to see where you want to be. One way to do that is to add your color, and take a bit out, pour on some wax paper to cool and keep tweaking from there.

It helps to get answers to your questions if you use a descriptive title like, "Help needed coloring cinnamon bun" or "Help with sink holes." You can also search for those terms.

Again, welcome to CT. :)

Im new to making candles and am using IGI 6000 I am heating my 9 oz hex jars and have tried pouring at different temps. As far as the color goes I think I got it. My biggest problem is the sink holes they are not that bad but it really gets under my skin that I cant fix it. I tired a heat pad and got a tiny little one but I like things close to perfect. I really dont want to double pour but I do want a smooth flat surface which I am not getting. Everybody says use a heat gun but Im curious do people that make these in volume use heat guns. Thanks for the welcome I hope this can help me get some help.:(

A heat gun is your best friend for all kinds of things, trust me. I like mixing about 15% soy with 6006. Pour at 180 degrees into clean, room temp jars and make sure your wick is nice and tight. Some folks are adding coconut oil (1tsp per pound) for improved appearance and throw. I get zero sink holes BUT I am pouring into a straight sided container. Hex jars may not be the best jar to start out with, because they are tricky to wick and tend to have wax hang up more than the simple jelly jars or tumblers. You may be in the wrong business if you are seeking perfection. HTH.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Yeah I guess you are right. Im just leaving them in the oven for now it gives me a little dip but not to bad. Sorry about the wrong section I think I was frustrated and didnt look around enough before I posted.