Packaging Pillars for markets & fairs.

RichardLOZ

Hey all

Just a quick question in regards to protecting your pillars when storing and transporting to various markets & fairs.

We have gone down a new path with our decoration, using some beads and as soon as they arrive some rusty tin hearts and stars on our pillars.

The problem we are facing is how best to pack, store and transport these items. We do not really want to go down the shrink wrap path as I think it takes away somewhat from the look, as well as adds to the cost.

I am after ideas on how people pack and store these to both prevent scents from mingling as well as to protect from damage.

All ideas welcome and appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

In the past when I worked on a much bigger level I packed everything is cello bags loose enough to get a good look at the pillar.

As for transporting to shows I used several plastic totes and tons of styro popcorn (saved it from my incoming orders).

a layer of of popcorn and a layer of candles, a layer of popcorn etc... I usually got 3 or 4 layers, sometimes five, depending on the size of the candles. I only recently started adding tins stars etc so I dont know how well that would work at protecting them but I can tell you my candles didnt move much if at all so it would probably work well!

All White Candles has shrink wrap made for pillars-- from large to small. Plus-- the wrap shrinks to leave a round hole at the top of the pillar so customers can smell the scent. It doesn't take away from the look of the candle. It makes them look more professional and also keeps them clean and a wrapped candle gets fewer dings and digs in it. It also looks so much nicer than cello bags.

I also like to transport my pillars in empty candle jar boxes with the seperation insert still inside to support them. They are easy to pack this way and transport without them getting knocked around a lot. You can fill any empty space with paper, excelsior, peanuts, bubble wrap, etc.

Does anybody else notice an odor from the shrink wrap or is it just me? My sisters tell me no problem but I notice it not only while I'm doing the shrinking but even weeks and months afterward. It tends to tarnish the candle scent. Plus, on rustics, using shrink wrap seems to leave a little bit of shine on the candle. Not what I want on rustics.

Richad, I like the convenience and protection of shrink wrap but I've been looking for some other packaging alternatives, too.

Pillars are such a pain in the bum!

I think we may just go with the bubble wrap for transport to markets. It's too hard, I think, now with the addition of beads to do anything else?

Personally I'd like to stick a label on the pillars and be done with it.....no string or leather strap and beads. Only thing is I just don't know if a sticky label is going to remain stuck, or stick at ALL to palm wax?

Tracy

Thats the thing.....I don't want that 'plastic" shrink wrap look to any of our products because now we're getting everything to look very "brown paper baggish".

At this point because we just don't know how well the pillars are going to sell we might just have to be extra careful when packing and just wait and see whether they are going to be something we continue with.

It's difficult to try and eliminate any kind of "plastic' look when packaging. I really hate the clam shells but shops want them because they take up less shelf space. :(

Corrugated wrap sounds like it would work for you...

http://www.uline.com/BL_1902/Corrugated-Wrap?desc=Corrugated+Wrap

for transport you could just wrap the candle but not secure the wrap, that way you could pack them into a container , take them out and put the wrap back into the container. When you sell one, wrap it and tape it for the customer which will let them get the candle home without dinging it too.

If you have any box supplies near you they might be able to supply you with it.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

I found out that the boxes that copy paper comes in was almost perfect for storing and transporting. I'd stand them in the box and stuff rags, bubble wrap or whatever between them. One box, one scent.

You can stack them 3 high, as a rule. Maybe 4 if the top one or two aren't completely full. Some even have built in handles. And they're almost all the same size, except for height. They fit great in a closet.

I think I got around 20 in each box, if memory serves.

And you can get them for free at most copy/print shops. Might get some at Staples, if they are stocking the shelves.

Might not be pretty, but they got the job done.

Also, you can put the lids on your table, then put your table cloth over the table and you've got display risers.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Actually through freecycle we have stumbled across a guy who fixes TV arials and has loads and LOADS of bubble wrap he constantly needs to get rid of ( another case of too much packaging!) so we are gratefully reusing what he finds a major pain to dispose of.

As well as that he has lots of small boxes that we've used to put our individual tart melts in. I made dividers and Richard printed out some big lables for the lids. They are PERFECT for what we need them for.

I just love when things can be recycled! :)

The pillars held up well wrapped in the bubble wrap at our last market so all is looking good here!

Tracy