GB 464, tins, wicks

I make candles for myself and to give away for gifts. My stockpile I made from a couple yrs. ago is starting to dwindle so it is time to start making again. I'm thinking of switching to GB 464 and using tins (was using EcoSoya & 8oz. JJ) and need some advice on wick sizes. I want to order from CS they are having a sale on 1 oz. FO testers. From looking back through threads someone said they use ECO 14 for the 8 oz. tin. Anyone else use other size wicks or tins? I would like to order several for testing purposes. Is the CS wick guide pretty accurate?

Thanks to all who reply!

We use a 464 / palm blend for our jars and the wax is poured quite hot. It can take a number of hours for the candles to begin setting depending on the weather at the time. I reckon yours should be set by morning, so you shouldnt have too much to worry about :)

Cheers

Richard

I use a 464/paraffin mix in my tins and use a CD12 in there. So with 100% 464 the ECO 14 may be a good pick. I would get the size up and down from that too...

I wick one size DOWN from CS's wick guide.

I dont go for full MP test burns on first few burns with the tins cause they always catch up in the end.

I made some test candle tins with soy, no dye and they discolored/rusted. They were so bad that I would not be able to sell or even give them away. I think it is common with scents that have alot of vanilla in them. The rust happened with several of my bakery scents.

You might know this information about tins. However, I didn't want you to spend alot of time on wicking and testing.........then discover this.

I don't have alot of experience with candle tins. Perhaps others could post their experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Eco 12 wicks with 464 in my 8 oz. tins and get a great burn. Eco 14 would be too big. The tins from candles science do rust with several of my fo's as well as the tins from Specialty Bottle, which are supposed to be food grade...ugg! I have had to limit the scents I offer in my tins.

You can buy Modge Podge at Walmart in the craft section. I put 2 coats on the inside of the tins, right up to the rim and it prevents any rusting, unless I'm in a hurry and don't coat it good. Use can use it for other hings also, like coating the inside of clay flower pots, etc.

Hmm, I've never heard of modge podge. I'll have to get some ASAP! It would be awful to make a bunch of candles to just have them all rust. The Kettle Corn from CS smells awsome! It's amazing how much it really smells just like it. It burns perfect with a ECO 12, great throw. Now I'm testing Choc Chip Cookies and English Garden.

Hi, I use GB 464 in 16 oz Apothecary jars (sorry, I knw you're using tins) I wick with 2 ECO-6 or 1 ECO-14 and those work very well for me, so I'd think ECO-14 would be a bit big in an 8 oz tin. Ive used tins before and they also tend to get hotter, so they helped in heating the wax a little during burn. Hope this helps a little!

Hi, I use GB 464 in 16 oz Apothecary jars (sorry, I knw you're using tins) I wick with 2 ECO-6 or 1 ECO-14 and those work very well for me, so I'd think ECO-14 would be a bit big in an 8 oz tin. Ive used tins before and they also tend to get hotter, so they helped in heating the wax a little during burn. Hope this helps a little!