M&P Base Questions

Grumpy Girl

Does anybody use the melt and pour base from Florida Soap Supply? What do you think of it, and how clear is the clear?

She's got a really good price on 25# ($1.33 per lb.) and I was thinking about ordering some. The shipping should be pretty reasonable, (which is what's been stopping me from ordering from a couple of places.)

How about the soap bases from The Chemistry Store? Do you use them, do you like them? (Stephenson is the maker, I think?)

Also SFIC seems to be pretty popular and very good from what I've read, but kinda pricey... I was thinking about getting some of their Ultra Clear base, but again, shipping is nuts. Even with the sample pack from SFIC directly, shipping to me is a little over $20.

Does anyone ever do co-ops on M&P?

I can get M&P locally, but she actually charges more than I would pay with shipping involved for 25#'s, which to me is just insane.

Any and all comments welcomed. :)

I tried some of the lower priced bases, and in my opinion the old saying "you get what you pay for" really applies here. I tried them and was not impressed and now I use the SFIC bases or nothing at all. :grin2:

curious about who your referring to when you say you tried them and was not impressed- The Chemistry Store or FSS ?? I've been thinking about trying FSS. TIA :)

Well, I got a few pounds of ultra clear SFIC from the classifieds to try, and since I haven't heard a word from FSS, I think I may go with the bulk base from WSP. Their shipping is pretty reasonable and the reviews for it are good. Besides, they have a few jars I want to try.

Yea it sweats but I wrap mine right away to avoid the sweats. I shrink wrap. So if you are wanting to use boxes it may not really work for you. every mp bases I have tried sweats. maybe I should try others, but wsp is local for me. The cost of wraping is much less than shipping

Here is a little tip that seems to work for me! it may not be the norm, but it is what I do. If I leave the soap out even for a day it will start to sweat. If the soap is done and ready to come out of the mold and I don't have time to wrap right then, I will stick the mold (with the soap still in it) in the fridge until I can get to it. no sweating doing it that way.

This may be wrong and those that think so can chime in and tell me why! (if it is!)

What base do you use MommaD, if I can ask?

Ditto, I've only used WSP bases and they sweat no matter what I do. I did some Thanksgiving day and put in a cello bag right away and it formed crystals on the bottom. Which I'm not really sure what it is I just take out and spritz w/ r. alcohol and it disappears. I've asked before on the board w/ no responses as to what it was.