Fixative or Forget It?

JacquiO

I was watching a woman's soap making video on youtube and she used a "fixative". I couldn't make out what she said it was but she was following a recipe she found.

She said that the fixative was for citrus fragrances which tend to weaken in soap over time. I made a soap with orange essential oil a while back and it seems pretty weak.

Can anyone recommend a good fixative for citrus essential oils such as orange, lemon, lime and grapefruit and where I can get it?

TIA,

Jacqui

Fixatives are just using a little amount of an essential oil that anchors the lighter scent. One that works well for lavender is just a touch of Ylang Ylang.

I just used Clary sage in pink grapefruit and it is working very well. And I use balsam peru for peppermint and lemongrass eos.

You can always use Litsea Cubeba EO as an anchor (fixative) for all of the citrus' as well as most anything.

That's what I think it was! She used 1/4 tsp in her 1lb test batch. I have not seen this EO anywhere. Where do you get it? And what ratio would you use?

Edited by JacquiO