Tucker

SatinDucky

I did one with fake flowers tonight. It has it's good points and bad. They're not delicate like dried flowers so you don't have to worry about ripping them. Then again, they're pre-shaped and don't much like lying flat. It may have turned out better with smaller flowers, but I don't care for this large one at all. I separated the pieces and dipped them in the wax to remove air before using them. Other than that, it went pretty much the same, besides the fact that they don't want to lie down when you put the hot knife on them. If you can't get dried flowers or just don't want to fool with pressing, silk/fake should work ;)

poinsetta.jpg

Ducky, do you have a big phone book? Put the leaves of the silk flower petals between some pages at the back. They will press pretty flat.

I have three and they're always full of real leaves...lol. With these poinsettas at least, I don't think that would help. Even soaked in wax and pressed flat, as soon as the wax warms, the creases form back into shape. It's ok, I really prefer the dried. I don't plan on doing anymore "silk" ones. Thanks for the idea though :)

It does look good.

What you can do to flatten the petals & leaves is remove any plastic vaining then hold the petal with tweezers and heat with a hair dryer (NOT a Heat Gun that will melt them). Then while it is still warm shape with your hands or flatten with a board.

Also if you have any frayed edges trim with sissors and with a very quick motion heat/melt the frayed edge with a cig. lighter. Just be careful not to burn or catch it on fire. With parctice you can get the fill for how to do this.

BTW - If you use some atheral (sp) flowers, the kind that are very thin seethrough mesh/lace looking, those will give you more the dried flower look.