Wicks Unlimited vs Wick It

Dana

I have been testing wicks from these two suppliers. I was told by Wick It that they both get theirs from the same source. Well I just about had it figured out thinking I needed a CDN 12 after testing WU's. I received samples from WI and their CDN 12 are weaker than CDN 10 from WU. Make sense? Anyway, they even look different. They are a bit darker in color. Does anyone know if they both get their wicks from the same source? I will call them today and tell them what I have discovered. Of course I will let everyone know what they say!

Could it be that Wick it uses a different coating on their sample wicks than wicks unlimited? I'm not really sure, just guessing. I've never used Wicks Unlimited but I do use Wick It, and I know when you order from them they give you 4 coating choices for your wicks... Standard Paraffin, High Melt Paraffin, Natural Wax, and High Melt Natural Wax.

It's sometimes hard to believe the coating makes so much difference in the burn, but I can't think of anything else it could be. Both these companies get raw wicking on big rolls directly from the manufacturer and it's exactly the same thing. As large or largish distributors, they do the wax coating themselves and make the wick assemblies. Even some general candle suppliers do it all themselves. I think this surely accounts for all the reports of the same wick burning differently depending on who you've purchased it from. When you notice that the same wick looks different from two suppliers, melt the wax coating and you'll see it's the same.

The machinery the assembler uses can make a HUGE difference. When the wicking is waxed and cut, it is sent through massive machines that basically wick and re-spool it. The tension that the wick has placed on it can greatly affect the finished wick. The machinery Wicks Unlimited uses is by far hands down the best. Their wicks are very consistent because their machinery is consistent.

I have spoken in person numerous times with Bruce from Wicks Unlimited who has given me this information. The same raw wick from the same source tabbed by two different companies will almost always react differently. Thus, if you plan to use a wick, buying from the same source repeatedly is essential. :)

The machinery the assembler uses can make a HUGE difference. When the wicking is waxed and cut, it is sent through massive machines that basically wick and re-spool it. The tension that the wick has placed on it can greatly affect the finished wick. The machinery Wicks Unlimited uses is by far hands down the best. Their wicks are very consistent because their machinery is consistent.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering if something could be physically happening to the wicking in that process. I guess the implication is that some assemblers are basically stretching the wick too much. Ideally, you'd want the assemblies to have the same burning properties as the raw wick from the manufacturer, but apparently sometimes it changes.

Exactly, Top. It's amazing how much of a variable machinery can make! :)

I am glad this information was helpful. Most suppliers will keep their supply sources the same from one order to the next. BC uses Wicks Unlimited wicking for this very reason. It's vital for the candle maker to know they can test a wick and it will always be the same from them. Thus as I said before, if you test from a source, don't assume that wicks from supplier X, Y & Z will all work the same. They only will IF they are all purchased from the same assembler. :)

Stella, not sure if you mean me...lol. I'm Dana and the wicks I was talking about are the CDN's. I have decided to stick with the CD's in this application due to the mushrooming I got anyway from the CDN's by wicking up a size to get a full m/p. What a waste of 3 weeks! Oh well, maybe the CDN's will work in another jar/wax combo.

I'm so sorry, Dana. My eyeballs, brain and fingers must not have been in synch with one another... :embarasse

between these two companies, the same wicks are burning 2 sizes different

I was unsure whether you had tested other types/sizes or what. I don't know which distributor JBN uses - I get most of my CDNs from them, but I have ordered some 14s in greater quantity from WickIt and I honestly haven't noticed any difference, so maybe I oughta try some samples from WicksUnlimited!

I was unsure whether you had tested other types/sizes or what. I don't know which distributor JBN uses - I get most of my CDNs from them, but I have ordered some 14s in greater quantity from WickIt and I honestly haven't noticed any difference, so maybe I oughta try some samples from WicksUnlimited!

Don't you twist the wick up in the candle? Ultimately the burning properties might be affected more by how you've mangled it yourself than the machinery used to make the assemblies.

Don't you twist the wick up in the candle? Ultimately the burning properties might be affected more by how you've mangled it yourself than the machinery used to make the assemblies.

Good point, Top! If there's one thing I am really good at, it's mangling! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I don't twist the wicks tightly at all, but as you wisely pointed out, this might have an effect on the burning properties of the wick. I never realized wicks were such DELICATE items!! :)

• 6 months later...
Too bad we can't take a tour thru a wick factory to see them making the wicks

Wouldn't that be fascinating? First to see the wicks actually being made (like at the Heinz or Wedo factories - trip to Germany!) then to see how the rolls of wicking are processed by the wick distributors! I LOVE field trips! :D

Wow -- very interesting & helpful info! I kinda feel dumb for not thinking of some of these points. I really thought that every wick of the same size met the same specs, no matter where you bought it ... this explains a lot. I guess this should have been more obvious to me, much like fo's w/ the same name will not be the same from different suppliers - DUH!! I feel like I just got a swift kick in my smarty-pants! LOL

Susan.