black soap color?

mparadise

What is the best colorant to use to get black M&P soap? I have seen mica, liquid pigment & black oxide but have never used any of them. If anyone has tried any of these (or knows of another option), what are the pros & cons of any that you have tried?

I've seen some Pink Sugar FOs go black... so if you like Pink Sugar...

I think most folks go with charcoal but I don't know how it works in MP, I've only seen it in CP so far. Seems like black oxide is good but turns lather black too.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I've used both black oxide & black clay. Either one works.

The trick to this is to use mostly clear mp with just a small bit of opaque. Otherwise you'll end up with a pastel color because of the TD.

I learned this trick from pjsoaps website. You can also get some really nice dark reds, greens, or blues this way. Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.pjsoaps.com/1TipsTricks.html

I use clear MP base and black liquid pigment. I add drop by drop, stirring until it just turns black without being able to see through it (in a pyrex measuring cup). I also add a tiny amount of gold mica. This looks nice for my lump of coal soap at Christmas time and my black cat soap. The lather is white.

Naomi

I use clear MP base and black liquid pigment. I add drop by drop, stirring until it just turns black without being able to see through it (in a pyrex measuring cup). I also add a tiny amount of gold mica. This looks nice for my lump of coal soap at Christmas time and my black cat soap. The lather is white.

Naomi

Perfect! the coal soaps is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you all for sharing. Off I go to order the supplies....