Candlewic's CBL 129 and 3032 straight paraffin

I just got a slab of each of these and am going to test it. Anybody else use either that wants to share any advice before I start? I know the CBL is pre-blended and requires a re-pour while I'm thinking of adding 1/4 tsp. Vybar 260 to a pound of the 3032 straight paraffin as a starting point. :confused: What are your thoughts? Thanks all!

• 2 months later...

This is an old post, I know, but I was wondering how the CBL 129 worked out for you? That's the only wax I used up until about 2 months ago, when I realized that the last two cases I purchased were, for lack of a better word, defective. No matter what I did, the candles I poured were pretty much tie-dyed with giant bubbles and air pockets (some up to 3 inches long, across the entire diameter of my larger jar candles) within a day or two. I know it's not the way I worked with the wax, since I didn't change a thing from my normal method, and then when I did change things in order to try to figure out the cause, nothing helped. So I figure it had to be the wax, especially with 2 50-lb cases doing the same thing.

Did this happen to you?

The CBL-129 worked well, but I didn't like the translucent look so I added some J-50 (or whatever it's called now). I also tested the 3032 and really liked it, too (along with the J-50 for a creamy look).

That's the only wax I used up until about 2 months ago, when I realized that the last two cases I purchased were, for lack of a better word, defective. No matter what I did, the candles I poured were pretty much tie-dyed with giant bubbles and air pockets (some up to 3 inches long, across the entire diameter of my larger jar candles) within a day or two.

If you are talking about areas where the wax separates from the glass, the wax isn't defective. It might vary from one batch to another, or from one time of year to another, but all waxes do that. It's normal.

^^No that wasn't it, I'm familiar with "wet spots". I can't describe my issue other than to say that there were white "masses" sprinkled through otherwise dyed wax. Like in my aqua-colored "Ocean" candle, it literally looked like the white foam on a crashing wave (kind of cool considering the scent but it definitely wasn't what I was going for. And it didn't look so good in my bakery scented candles). Some were small but others were huge in size, and looked almost like fish scales - flat and silvery. The discoloration went all through the wax, not just on the sides. It was bizarre. I used it in some tins as well and it's evident just by looking at the top that there's an enormous air pocket - or something - almost the entire diameter of the tin. You can see where it's turning white beneath the top of the wax.

I test burned a few after noticing this and nothing happened that was out of the ordinary. If they are in fact just freakishly huge air pockets, they didn't affect the burn at all. Still, I didn't want to sell candles that looked like that so I just switched waxes. I still get the occasional wet spot from 4627 but no fish scales in my container candles :yay:

The CBL 129 is the wax I started out using and really liked it until like you said I started getting wax that wasn't right. But my problem was the wrinkled/rippled tops even after the repours and I had not changed anything. I emailed and I think even talked with someone and they said wax was fine it had to be me. I knew it wasn't me so I stopped using it and started using IGI 4786. I later found out to much vybar had been added causing the wrinkled tops.