Curious about Oils

Loulougirl

Fractionated coconut oil is caprylic/capric acid triglyceride.

So it's an oil and it has applications in B&B, but it's not coconut oil and should never be used for soaping.

I agree it shouldn't be used in soaping.

But it's not NOT coconut oil either. It's a "fraction" of coconut oil.

I don't like to use wikipedia as a reference, preferring to track down ITS reference, but it's late so here goes:

Fractionated Coconut Oil

Fractionated coconut oil is a fraction of the whole oil, in which the long-chain fatty acids are removed so that only medium chain saturated fatty acids remain. Lauric acid, a 12 carbon chain fatty acid, is often removed as well because of its high value for industrial and medical purposes. Fractionated coconut oil may also be referred to as caprylic/capric triglyceride oil or medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil because it is primarily the medium chain caprylic (8 carbons) and capric (10 carbons) acids that make up the bulk of the oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil

You're right, it's a portion (about 15%) of the original CO that it's separated from, but it isn't coconut oil in any practical sense. I pointed that out because I feel the common name can be a little misleading.

Similarly, you can buy oleic acid triglyceride that's fractionated from palm oil or lard or tallow, but it isn't really any of those things anymore.

Unlike the oleic stuff, capric/caprylic triglyceride is the furthest thing from an oil you'd want to soap with, so you don't want to get it mixed up with coconut oil.