IGI 6006 & Coconut Oil

I've never heard of it either but was just wondering. I use 6006 straight and don't have problems with sink holes or wet spots but then I mostly use 8 oz tins and 8 oz square mason jars. The wax seems to like these sizes and shapes. I too would add a little extra soy if problems occured. In my idle time (yes, I occasionally have a bit of that..especially while my haircolor processes :laugh2:). I was just wondering if there was a benefit.

Coconut oil is added to soy to help with frosting issues. Along the way, some folks added that it enhances hot throw. I haven't found that to be the case, but others swear by it. To my knowledge, this is a veggie wax additive and there is no benefit to its use in paraffin or paraffin-based waxes. :)

Well I have been conducting extensive testing of different blends of 6006 and other waxes and make two of each. One with and one without coconut oil. The ones with coconut oil have stronger ct and ht than the ones that do not. The wax stays stable even after burning and does not exhibit the ugly wet spots that occur after a burn. I have used coconut oil off and on for the past three years and have found it to be an effective ingredient when the wax needs to be hardened to help wick issues, as well as, throw. I am neither foolish or stupid thank you very much. I will say that I have come across another ingredient that works even better than coconut oil and keeps the wax even more stable.

The ones with coconut oil have stronger ct and ht than the ones that do not. The wax stays stable even after burning and does not exhibit the ugly wet spots that occur after a burn. I have used coconut oil off and on for the past three years and have found it to be an effective ingredient when the wax needs to be hardened to help wick issues, as well as, throw
So you are asserting that not only does CO have some magical property that enhances scent throw in a paraffin-based wax but also has an effect on adhesion and resistance to expanding/contracting? Wonder if others have had similar findings... I'd like to see this corroborated...
I will say that I have come across another ingredient that works even better than coconut oil and keeps the wax even more stable.
And that ingredient is...? :confused:

Recent researches led to the development of a vegetal based substitute for stearine, until then always produced from animal fat. This vegetal substitute, which is gaining popularity among candlemakers upon the animal counterpart, is mainly extracted from coconut oil (or palm oil). For information, cocoa butter is made of 35% (!!!) stearic acid.

How and when to use Stearic acid?

In our domain, candlemaking, Stearin (that's how I'll call it from now on) is available in powder or granulated form, has a pure white color and feels a little fat when you touch it. Its melting point is 158°F.

It is mainly used:

to raise the melting point of the paraffin it gets mixed with (logically, one part paraffin with a melting point of 130°F mixed with one equal part paraffin with a melting point of 150°F results in a mixture whose melting point averages 140°F). Adding a substance with a high melting point - like stearin - to paraffin has a tendency to raise the average melting point of the mixture,

on the contrary, to lower the melting point of a high melting point paraffin,

to give the colors a pastel shade,

to "harden" the candle. Stearin can act as a hardener,

to make the candle burn longer (due to the fact that the melting point is higher).

• Like 1