container candle question

When I make my container candles there is some wax left on the bottom of the jar. I just figured this was normal because all the warning lables that I see say to discontinue use when 1/2 inch remains.

However, when I was reading some information on here and brousing some competitor websites (or will be competitor websites when I get selling) they have their cantainer candles fully consume all the wax so they can reuse the jar for things. (They mention candy dishes or even showed small christmas ornimate bulbs in them).

What am I doing wrong that I cannot have a fully consuming container candle??? Or better yet, how do you get a container candle like that?

Thanks in advance

All my wicks leave at least 1/2 inch of wax on the bottom for safety purposes. I guess they tell people to dig the remaining wax out since container wax is soft and wash in hot sudsy water to clean the containers for reuse. However, how do they get the wicks removed? I don't sell now (still in the testing phase) but when I do I plan on using gasket sealer to stick my wicks and that doesn't come off without extreme work. For my testings I use wick stickums but I won't trust them to the general public just in case they come loose.

This is an interesting question and wonder how they tell their customers about getting the wick out.

Rebecca-- Your candle is probably wicked with a pre-tabbed wick assembly. This is a precut and pretreated wick inserted in a tab. Look at the tab the wick comes in. The neck on the tab is where the wick is inserted and the necks come in different milimeter lengths. The reason for this is to keep the wax from burning to the bottom of your container.

You don't want the candle to be fully consumed because there is risk of the glass overheating.

Thanks Candybee

It would be nice to have that, but safety is my main concern. I'll just leave things as it is. I should look into seeing if the jars can be recyled with that little bit of wax left in it. That way those that choose to still be "green" can recycle the jars. :undecided

Rebecca, I totally thought that not too long ago too -- I was wicking 8oz wide-mouth Kerr mason jars, which have a raised bottom. I was affixing a pre-tabbed wick assembly with a 6mm neck height right on the top of that raised bottom, and couldn't for the life of me figure out why I'd have about a whole INCH of wax leftover at the end! :confused:

So I moved away from those jars with raised bottoms and am using wick tabs that have a 3 or 6 mm neck height, and it seems to leave just the right amount of wax leftover to be safe. If one wanted to reuse my jar they could simply pop it into a warm oven for about 5 minutes and pour the small amount of wax out into the trash, remove the wick assembly, and wipe clean while the jar is warm still. :grin2:

Ryan

I always have a small amount of wax left in my container candles...I have a electric candle warmer..just set the container on it for 15 minutes or so till the wax is melted then pour the wax out and usually the wick pulls right out... then use some warm soapy water to clean the jar.