4630 and 4627? Ug!

Hello again all! I've got a little bit of a confusing situation.

I'm looking for a good wax to use in my container candles, which are pint sized mason jars. The wax place I talked to recommended using 4627 because it's got a great throw and adheres well, but then they are telling me to use 4630 because it's "easier to work with" and not so messy (I don't really care about that) but they didn't elaborate on what "easier to work with" really meant.

They also told me to use 51-32-18z in these candles. Someone else on the board told me to use those with J223, will they also work with 4627 or 4630?

Also, which wax do you all recommend? I'm not even sure of the difference. I'm more concerned with throw than with single pouring or it being a pain.

I'm such a newbie I know, but you are guys are certainly helping with my experiments. I'm nowhere near getting to blend my own or perfect it, I just want to be able to finally make a batch of candles that are good enough to give as gifts LOL

*Jess

Well if you are looking for throw, I would go with 4627. Yes, it is messy. It gets all over my fingers, but it is worth it. I like HTP wicks with both and 4627 and 4630. I have used zinc wicks in 4630 and 4627 and they do work. I think with 4630 I could get by with a 44-24z or 51-32z or HTP 83 in a pint mason. The 4627 you have to wick up with and I would start with a 60-44z or HTP 105 or HTP 126.

P.S. 4630 is good too. I just like 4627 better, mess and all.

I have used many different types of wax while on my search for the best throwing one of them all. I finally settled on 4627 after switching several times and starting over on my testing more times than I care to remember!

Yes, it's messy. It's very soft, and you can cut it, but it's almost scoopable rather than easily scored and chunked. It gets on your hands/gloves and doesn't make for very easy clean up, but the trade off is SOO worth it! The stuff has fabulous throw, and does wick quite well with the 51z for some oils, but requires a wick up with others.

Have fun, and good luck with your testing~ that's a great place to start!

Awww PA! We are so alike! The only thing I would add is that it's not just the wax and fo that determine wicking........don't forget the container! I use 4627 and the zincs for all of my containers from there it's what size wick and is more than one wick needed for the oil and container. Testing, testing, testing! :yay: