Wicks For Soy?

Hello all. I'm a newbie, but I was wondering...I'm using a 100% soy wax that I'm pouring into pint sized mason jars for container candles. What type of wick is best?

I've tried both HTP 104 and HTP 1212 and they both seem to leave some wax on the sides of the jar. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome...not sure what kind of soy wax you're using but if you go to the Vegetable Wax forum and type into the search feature your specific wax you'll probably get loads of info on it. Don't hesitate to ask questions. The more info you can give on your wax type, container dimensions, fragrance oil type and amount used, dye, etc. the better. Good luck and have fun reading...there's a lot of interesting info in that section.

Karen

You will have to test to figure it out for yourself since what works for one, may not work for another. We can give you some starting points but testing for yourself is very important. If one wick doesn't work, pull it out and try another. Sometimes you can tell if a wick is not going to work but sometimes, you really need to burn the candle all the way down to be able to really tell. I've had tester candles that burn fine the first few initial burns, then they don't burn well the rest of the part, or part of the way. I've also had had candles that did not seem to be burning well initially but finally started to burn correctly later during the test burn.

As for the HTPs, they are self trimming wicks and will bend to one side which can leave wax on the side the wick bends away from. However, because soy tends to burn down then out, it is not uncommon to have some hang-up for a time but if properly wicked and if the candle is allowed to burn for the proper amount of time, that hang-up should come down.

When I used the C-3 wax, I always used CD wicks with good luck as well. It helps to "wick up", or use the next size larger wick with really heavy oils, as sometimes your wick can drown out while burning if the fragrance oil is quite potent. Ahhh, the days of testing. And who is ever done? :smiley2: