6006 testing in process- long post-help if you can

Hello everyone,

I have recently started testing 6006 and it is not going well, here are some of my first testing results.I will start by telling you I use a 6 sometimes 7% FO load depending on FO and I use a 3" diam straight sided tumbler and a 3" diam tin.I am getting great throw but terrible wicking results. I am heating to 190 adding FO @ 180 and pouring to unheated jars, but basement tends to be very cool.I am trying to put photos up but it is telling me that my pic exceeds forum size limits.If you would like to see themI can send them to you if you have sugg.

but for now I will just describe.

#1 test straight 6006 with an lx20- beautiful FMP after the 3rd burn but started to soot towards the bottom 1/2 of the tumbler and left a mushroom almost the size of a dime!!huge!

#2 test straight 6006 with a cd8 after 4- 3 1/2 hr burns tons of hangup and no FMP but no soot -yay

#3 test 6006 w/ 10% 464 soy added cd8 pretty much the same results as # 2 test still really hung up

#4 test 6006 w/ 15% 464 soy added cd8-candle is now showing wet spots on the glass and looked pulled away all the way around the glass-definite adhesion problems with this mix and now a worse MP it seems to be tunneling? Any help would be greatly appreciated,Bug where are you? Thanks in advance:)

LX-20 is too big for #1 LX16 = CD8

Test 2 sounds fine. Do 3 more test burns.

Test 3 also sounds fine. Do 3 more test burns

Test 4 Maybe too much soy.

Don't worry about wet spots after you've already started burning. It happens!!!

Carole

Egad!!!...don't tell me this...I just got back from a road trip to CS and picked up a slab of 6006..I plan on testing this tomorrow with 15% 464. I'm going to test with Eco's and HTP's though. I've tried using CD's and CDN's when I was testing straight 464 and never had any luck..mushroomed no matter what size I used. I seem to have more luck with Eco's. Never used HTP's before so this will be a new experience.

Going to test 8 oz. 3" tins and 8oz. square mason jars. Planning to heat to 190 and pour at 180 with 1.5 oz FO. Thinking of starting out with Eco 8 & 10 and HTP 83. Right now I'm testing a 75/25 blend of 464 & 4630 with an Eco 10 and oddly enough it seems to be doing ok. CT was great..HT sort of medium. Should have let it cure longer than I did..HT might have been better.

Just to make sure I have my facts straight...6006 is mostly parrafin with soy added (maybe a 75/25 ratio?) right?

I too am interested in seeing what Bug has to say on your test results..hoping it'll save me some head banging :smiley2: .

Karen

the 464 is not a bad idea...just test the 6006 alone first. Bug helped me alot when I was doing this...15% is OK and should not even change your wicking....I used CD's and CDN's when i tested this. I had no luck with ECO's they consumed the wax too fast.

I started adding soy (15% CB Adv.) to help with the wet spots and tunneling and it works! I use a CD14 in my 16 oz. sq. mason jars and those are fine, but had to drop to a CD12 in my 8 oz. JJ.

I did read on another post that someone uses zinc core wicks in their 6006....hmmm I may give that a try. My CD's are "shrooming" too much!

HTH

Thanks Tootie..I'll throw in a couple of CD's to test. They might perform better in this mix for me than they did with straight 464. When you said Eco's (for you) consumed too much wax..would possibly being causing my poor HT?

it is possible...I dont know ,but the ECO candle was done way before the others so I settled on the CD's. I like them and they work for me.

Well, I poured 6 tins this morning..8oz. 3" dia. x 2" tall. Three tins with 85% 6006 and 15% GB 464 with 1.5 oz. FO. The other three tins were straight 6006 with 1.5 oz. FO. All 6 set up beautifully. Wicks I'm testing are ECO 8, CD 8 & 10 and HTP 83 & 104. Not testing an ECO 10-felt it might be too large because it seems to work well in a mostly soy tin I'm testing now. I read somewhere (I believe Bug mentioned it) to be careful and not overwick this wax.

My question is...how long should I let these cure before testing for wick and HT? I think I read this wax cures in 48 hrs. but I'm not sure. I've done so much reading here lately.

After I test I'll post my results. Thinking about ordering some zinc wicks just in case none of the above work. Kinda didn't want to go the zinc route though.

Karen