Tests Finally finished on 4" jar...pictures

Ok, so on my 4" apothecary jar (thought it was 3.75, but is more like 4 inches) tests are finally done. I posted previously when I started these tests.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83847&highlight=test+underway

I tested 4 candles at the same time with 4 different wicks. I used HTP 105, Zinc 60-14-18, LX 24, and CD 18. My wax is Acu Para 30 (which is 70% para and 30% soy). I used 6% FO. I only burned for 3 hours each time...probably should have been 4 in retrospect. Here is how the candles ended up at the bitter end...First 2 are HTP, 2nd are zinc, 3rd are LX, and 4th is CD.

I am thinking I need to work on a method to get my wicks centered better since a few of the candles had lots of hang up on one side and not so much on the other.

Here are a few points from my notes:

HTP- The wax from the "shoulder" of the glass didn't really start melting off till like the 8th burn. 0.15 oz/hr burn rate. Glass never got too hot to touch. Did have some sooting. First candle to burn out. Ended up with 2.6 oz wax still left in jar.

Zinc- Noticed wax starting to melt off sides around the 5th burn. .13 oz/hr burn rate. Did have mushrooms, but I trimmed wick each burn to 1/4 inch. Also had some sooting. Was second to last to burn out on the 19th burn. 1.8 oz wax left in jar. Never got to hot to handle.

LX- Had smallest MP at first. And smallest flame at the start. Had some muchrooms, trimmed wick before each burn. Wax started to melt off sides aroung 5th burn. 0.17 oz/hr burn rate. Had soot on jar. Jar got quite hot toward the end, but I was still able to touch it. Least amount of hang up and wax left. 1.3 oz wax left in jar. Last to burn out on 19th burn.

CD- Had largest flame and MP at first. Had sooting. Wax started melting from sides around 5th burn. 0.18 oz/hr burn rate. A couple times this jar was a little to hot to touch on the neck. 2nd candle to burn out in the 17th burn. 2.3 oz wax left in jar. No hang up on one side, with quite a bit on the other...

So there was sooting, but still quite a bit of wax left in these jars. I know they are difficult to single wick so I will take any suggestions you have. I poured another one wickless and I am going to insert a wick to start with but don't know where to go with wicking now. Thanks.

post-11016-139458456084_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458456085_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458456087_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458456088_thumb.jpg

post-11016-13945845609_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458456091_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458456093_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458456094_thumb.jpg

A couple suggestions. If you really want to single wick, there are still options available. I'd steer clear of wicks with zinc if your blend has soy in it. Since the HTP 105 did not cut it, I'd maybe test the 126, 1212 and 1312 to see if any of those will work. In the CD series if the 18 did not work there is still the 20 and 22. A wick that isn't burning correctly will often both soot and mushroom or one or the other.

I personally am going to bet like many others that double wicking is going to be a better option though. Maybe start with two CD 8's and go from there. Glad to see you've put so much into testing and documenting! :)

Leah,

Yeah I was burining those 4 at a time...I have slowed down and I am actually only burning one right now and it's unscented. I double wicked this one with 2 CD 8's...we will see. No headaches for now. Then I poured a "Duck Farts" candle last night...lol I just can't burn unscented for long, but I wont burn 4 at a time anymore. I have all these great scents I want to try. I made duck farts purple because it reminded me of a mallard duck with the purple on their wings.

:laugh2: I have never heard of the FO duck farts. Where did you get it and what does it smell like? (I had to ask).

Well, let's just hope your headaches don't return. Oh and I know what you mean about the FOs. I can't hardly stand to have FOs sitting around that have not been tested. I guess I'm just too curious to see how they turn out in the finished product.

Happy testing!

:laugh2: I have never heard of the FO duck farts. Where did you get it and what does it smell like? (I had to ask).

Well, let's just hope your headaches don't return. Oh and I know what you mean about the FOs. I can't hardly stand to have FOs sitting around that have not been tested. I guess I'm just too curious to see how they turn out in the finished product.

Happy testing!

the duck farts made me chuckle hope you are having a better time wicking and no headaches !

• 3 weeks later...

I think I may have to do the same. I hate double wicking. I hated giving up my galss for this new one. i don't seem to have much choice. Your glass glow is so pretty . I never heard of them . Something new for me to learn. thanks