hardest bar of soap

The hardest bar of soap I ever made was 100% Olive Oil. And I made the mistake of not cutting it the next day and almost broke my cutter.

I guess if coconut oil makes a hard bar too then a combination of the two would probably give you a nice hard moisturizing soap.

The hardest bar of soap I ever made was 100% Olive Oil. And I made the mistake of not cutting it the next day and almost broke my cutter.

I guess if coconut oil makes a hard bar too then a combination of the two would probably give you a nice hard moisturizing soap.

:shocked2: There's no way that was 100% olive oil or your recipe was way off. A 100% olive oil soap should never be hard the next day, lucky to be able to unmold it in a week. Something's not right there.

:shocked2: There's no way that was 100% olive oil or your recipe was way off. A 100% olive oil soap should never be hard the next day, lucky to be able to unmold it in a week. Something's not right there.

I have made it twice (100%) twice, and both times it was that hard.. I took a water discount, but it was definiteley almost too hard to cut.

I agree with your assessment if you soap it with a full water amount, but if you soap with 40% - 45% lye solution, it comes out good and hard the next day. Trust me. :)

MarieJeanette

I agree with your assessment if you soap it with a full water amount, but if you soap with 40% - 45% lye solution, it comes out good and hard the next day. Trust me. :)

MarieJeanette

Ahh, didn't think of that. I've been making soap for 3 1/2 years and have never used a 45% lye solution, just not enough time to play around. I do a full 4 week cure on all of my soaps so never felt the need to rush things.

You misunderstood me. I made the mistake of NOT cutting it the next day. I cut it a week or two after I unmolded it. Day 2 probably still would have been hard but after two weeks it was rock solid. Soaps really well though. Not even slimy.

Also note I made it using hot process. So the loaf was solid the next day.