wooden picture frame docrating ideas..help me out!

tlc26

I have to decorate a plain wooden picture frame for this contest at work. I am a member of our 'spirit team' and they come up with projects like this and I am expected to participate because I am 'the crafty one' ha ha! give me some wax or some soaping oils and FO and I sure am crafy but not so much otherwise. .........................the only thing I can come up with is to paint it with a beach theme and put some real sand in the paint for the sand and maybe some plastic leaves for palm tree and glue on a drink umbrella or something.........................but I don't have and don't really want to buy a ton of paint and I don't paint very well............................................one lady is doing bird feathers and another did leather fringed fabric covering..............................any ideas! the frame is not large and not too small I have about 3 inches of wood all the way around to decorate..................toss out what ever is popping into your heads!! please!!!

I did a frame like you said with the sand. We had gone to florida for vacation and I got some sand from the beach and shells and when I had gotten home I used glue and dusted the whole frame with the sand and then glued the shells in two of the corners and put a picture with us on the beach in the frame.

Is there supposed to be any kind of theme, or is it totally up to you what you want to design?

If you don't like to paint, you can always decoupage. You can use paper from books, giftwrap, scrapbooking supplies, paper bags, newspaper, etc.

If you wanted to do a beach them without painting, there is plenty of "water" design themed scrapbooking paper, or touristy/map paper. You can buy it by the sheet at any craft store. You could glue some of that on with Modge Podge or other craft glue and then sand it down so that the edge of the paper is exposed to show a white rough edge, or even expose a little of the wood frame beneath. Then you can dry brush it with a little stain or watered down brown paint (just a smidge will do) to give it an aged look and glue a starfish, a toy car, surf board, plastic fish, etc. on one corner of the frame.

You could do something similar with yellow notepad paper and glue a pencil and some paperclips on it for an office themed frame.

pull apart silk flowers and hot glue the petals on and then add a few silk bees & butterflies maybe

or pull apart a green plant (ivy, philadendron, etc.) and add little clay critters ~ turtle, frog, etc.

beat it with hammer, bag of coins, scratch with a nail, fork, etc. to "age" it, then stain it, then string a web across a corner and dangle a spider

hot glue glass beads

hth :)

it doesn't have to be themed. I have artistic freedom. It will be judged on most creative and funniest...whatever that means!great ideas! keep 'em coming. I dig the office idea that would be cute. thanks for the beach pointers too! I was going to put a pic of my dog at the beach in but I am not sure if we are suposed to include the pic or not or even if it mattersother are cool too....keep 'em coming

Call me crazy, but how about feathers and beads, alright, crazy.

I have also made one to look like an old TV with knobs, then printed a picture with close caption comments on the picture.

I did one picture of a friend who was tanked. I put the Cops logo in the corner and the caption on the bottom, "Honest officer I only had 2 drinks" (he was holding up 1 finger in the picture, yah, you know the one).

You could use any show, or take a picture of all of your co-workers and decorate the frame like you all hit the Powerball. You could take a picture of your boss and make the frame look like brick and the picture to look like it has barson it.

I've made so many for friends maybe I should start taking pictures.

Thanks for all the fabulous ideas. I ended up finding a bottle of puffy paint and some blue tempera paint and using what I had. I painted a blue base and did some free hand, henna inspired art (swirlies, flowers, zig-zags, and dots) I will post a pic in a few days! I will also let you know who won. They will be judging on Friday the 17th and I will be in Pittsburgh for the Candle & Soap gathering so I won't know until I get back to work on Tuesday night/wednesday morning.Thanks again!

• 1 month later...