WOW Wax?

Thinking of trying a slab and was wondering if anyone has used it and what did you think? I have used Joy for years and loved it up until about 2 years ago. TIA Portia I'm going to school, but had some customers that just would'nt let me quit making some candles. Gets rid of my itch I guess.

I was thinking of trying it out too! (I remember you gave me so much great advice when I started up with Joy Wax, thank you for that)! I've been contemplating which wax to start back up with now that we are stateside again.

Do you know if there is any soy in the the paraffin blend? Or what exactly the "blend" means?

Sandi

I just ordered a slab of this stuff to test! I will get back to this thread once I do. I also sent in a message to NG to find out exactly what WOW wax is, as it just states paraffin blend on their website.

An update from NG is that they aren't sure what exactly this wax consists of as it is a proprietary product from the manufacture. Kathy did say, though, that it is mostly paraffin, obviously!!

I'll let you all know how my testing goes and my impressions of it. UPS comes Thursday! YAY!

Received my WOW wax! It is the consistency of thick Vaseline. Compared to the Joy Wax, it is softer. It is very sticky on the fingers when using.

Now, I poured a test candle to see what I have myself in store for. I like to pour a candle scented, colored, and unwicked (FO at 6% actual) to see the color adherence, behavior in jar and fragrance character.

The WOW really looks nice! The color blue is sharp and I don't see any wet spots or cracks. The fragrance is noted as medium to strong scented at the actual 6%. (Actual to me means 6% of total candle weight, not 6% of just the wax poured).

Now, to fancy my interest, I took my Ecosoya Advanced that I was having a rough time getting a throw out of. I made a 70/30 blend mostly the CBA. The fragrance in the SoyBlend seems richer than in the WOW. I can smell the notes of the fragrance more obviously.

Burning: I tried CDs with WOW and got sooting, low to medium amounts. This was in a square 8oz Mason. I tried wicking down to CD10, there was still sooting, but not as much. I switched to LX22, a lot less soot, but assume the flame to be too small. Switched to LX24, got sooting the first bit, blew it out, trimmed, started flame again and it has been burning great without soot. However, after a three hour I did not obtain a full melt pool. I'm a bit puzzled by this since I thought paraffin burned with smaller wicks than soy. I will next try CD7 to see what it does.

Now my SoyBlend is amazing! I decided to a higher FO load at 9% actual. I've had luck with the same size wicks I used with CBA straight, CDs. The throw is much better and I'm excited to try more fragrances with this wax. I'll take pics later if there is any interest???

:)

Sandi

I have been watching this thread and glad to see you posted your results. I am interested in seeing pics :yay:

When you said that the wax is sticky and similar to thick vaseline - is it formed into slabs or in a blob like the 4627 Comfort Blend?

if you have to scoop it out i wonder if it is comfort blend just with a different name ?

when i tried CB I had a heck of a time with it and gave it up fast !!! course that was years ago too .

if you have to scoop it out i wonder if it is comfort blend just with a different name ?

when i tried CB I had a heck of a time with it and gave it up fast !!! course that was years ago too .

It is in slabs, not as sticky or in a bag like comfort wax, I have tested it. It's a good wax, really good throw cold & hot and pretty easy to wick. :cool2:

Yay, I have followers! HAHA!

Alright. Here is the photo I took after I poured, following the directions off of Nature's Garden's website. It is a beautiful pour and I see no sink holes, cracks or wet spots. The CT is nice, but has sort of a "factory" smell to it. (It really doesn't smell homemade, if that is even possible to detect!) Of course I have only done one scent, NG Blueberry Flapjacks.

The wicks I have on standby are HTP 83, 104... Zincs, LXs, and CDs. I've gotten lots of sooting here with this wax, but before I only used soy or Joy Wax. There is no soot issue when I make it 70/30 with CBA. Anyone want to suggest a wick for me to use in this? I've tried a few as mentioned above, but would like more opinions if there are any~

_MG_9387.jpg

I have tested it. It's a good wax, really good throw cold & hot and pretty easy to wick. :cool2:

So I am testing the Wow in an 8oz square Mason with 6% FO load. I have a CD 8 popped in there now, but the flame still seems rather large and I notice a tad bit of soot when a draft occurs. What wicks would you suggest?

I used LX wicks and I don't know the width of that jar you are using, but in my 2-1/2" jars I've used and LX18, 20 & 21 depending on the FO's. I usually get a full MP on the 3rd or 4th burn. I don't use the wax straight anymore, I mix it for my own parasoy. :cool2:

It is in slabs, not as sticky or in a bag like comfort wax, I have tested it. It's a good wax, really good throw cold & hot and pretty easy to wick. :cool2:

ahhh i wonder if it is a mix of CB with soy . not like we will find out just guessing lol

in the picture it looks really soft .

chris love your ferret siggy :P

maybe try and htp 73 they make that size right ?

ahhh i wonder if it is a mix of CB with soy . not like we will find out just guessing lol

chris love your ferret siggy :P

LOVE our ferrets and they really are very smart!!

Christy I don't think there is any soy in it, just a paraffin blend of some sort. It is pretty soft, but definately not as bad as comfort wax, but it still has a great throw like comfort. :cool2:

Thank you all for the responses on this wax. I don't have alot of time nor money to spend on testing a wax that is going to give me a fit. I guess Joy wax spoiled me rotten, because of all the waxes I've tried, I keep going back to it.

Anyone still using Joy wax? I haven't purchased a case of it in about 10 months now, but do remember having cracking and frosting issues with the last case that I did buy. Any in put on Joy that has been purchased more recently would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,,,Portia

Thank you all for the responses on this wax. I don't have alot of time nor money to spend on testing a wax that is going to give me a fit. I guess Joy wax spoiled me rotten, because of all the waxes I've tried, I keep going back to it.

Anyone still using Joy wax? I haven't purchased a case of it in about 10 months now, but do remember having cracking and frosting issues with the last case that I did buy. Any in put on Joy that has been purchased more recently would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,,,Portia

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has purchased Joy wax recently as well.

I've actually thought about diving back into Joy Wax, too. I had to close up shop for almost two years (didn't want to mess with candles, shipping and the heat of Arizona) but now that we are in North Dakota I have a different problem... it being too cold!

I have a moderate crackling (which differs from cracking if you will) of the wax in containers going on here and I cannot fix it with any different pour temperature or thermal cooling. I may try my luck with Joy again, but who knows! So many decisions! I think Joy may help with my crackling issues.

sandi

Not sure if I should be holding my head in shame or my hands up in excitement, but I ordered a slab of Joy wax today! I guess the testing will determine how I react to this wax I so loved before!

Being in wax limbo has it's pros and cons... :confused:

I'll be sure to post thoughts and impressions. I didn't really care for the WOW wax, but I have never worked with paraffin before either. My blended 50/50 of the WOW and Ecosoya CBA is absolutely my haven if Joy poses issues.

pdevine, did you have any other issues with the Joy besides it just cracking? I can't really remember if my wicking was changed before I stopped using it.

Results are in! Joy Wax is rockin'! It' just as I remember when I first began using it. No frosting, excellent adhesion, no cracking, great HT and CT! Just as creamy out of bag as ever. I did only order one slab, so let's cross our fingers that the case will prove just as perfect! Here are some pics after candle cooled and also after 5 hour power burn.

Also, I tried to be as clumsy with the candle pouring process as possible, not really paying too close attention to pouring at the exact temp, pouring fast not slow, and not heating jars. I also have air set at 71 here so they cooled in a colder environment.

My wicking from the old Joy is the same as I tested with; no need to wick up!!

_MG_9434.jpg

_MG_9437.jpg

_MG_9436.jpg