Online Shipping Calculator?

smiley_miley

Hi everyone!

I have a question...I have a Paypal shopping cart on my website, and it doesn't calculate shipping. You can only charge a flat rate, or you can charge a % of the order. Is there a shipping calculator somewhere that I can add to give accurate shipping fees and add them to the order automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Kathleen

I use a Paypal shopping cart, because I didn't want my whole website to be one big shopping cart, I wanted my own design. But on Paypal, it only has flat rate shipping that you can add, or you can do a % of the order shipping. I can't do any real rate shipping....but my boyfriend is a programmer, and he is building me one now to go with Paypal...but thanks for the help, everyone!

I use a Paypal shopping cart, because I didn't want my whole website to be one big shopping cart, I wanted my own design. But on Paypal, it only has flat rate shipping that you can add, or you can do a % of the order shipping. I can't do any real rate shipping....but my boyfriend is a programmer, and he is building me one now to go with Paypal...but thanks for the help, everyone!

A good cart will allow you to incorporate it into your existing site and calculate shipping. without the whole site being a cart.

I am her dearest love and am programming a shopping cart for her. This is going to use PayPal as a backend for safe and fast processing.

It is one of the very few carts that are template-less and can co-exist in virtually any template. It performs live USPS shipping charges and allows the user to choose overnight, priority or parcel shipping. It allows the web site owner to charge a custom handling fee on top of shipping. It has an advanced pricing algorithm which calculates product weight and the number of boxes to be used if total weight is greater than 70 lbs. It accurately tells the web site owner what each box should weigh to save money on USPS.

It takes only minutes to install the cart and to add products. It's about 90% complete and when it's done, I'll reask Sara permission to post under the selling forums and will sell the shopping cart to anyone who is interested. It will be complete within three or four days of this posting.

I'm not sure why you would go to all that work...when, like Stacyscentsations DH said, a good shopping cart can exist in any site, without the whole site being the cart...but maybe you just didn't know how to do that? Be careful of selling newly programmed ideas..you wouldn't want someone to buy something that didn't have all the buggies worked out yet. ;)

Like I said, this will NOT have a template. It can be used on any template/web site and function properly. Like any script or program, there are always bugs. Even with OSCommerce there are bugs that I can find :)

This will be fully tested by a number of people before it's inital release. Free script updates for a year and free technical support.

It will go by the standards of www.SpyderScripts.com .

If that were true, there would only be one world wide shopping cart for online stores. There wouldn't be literally thousands of carts to choose from, each with their own unique benefits. There is nothing wrong with taking a concept and improving on it. In fact, that is how civilization has come so far ;)

I don't know why you would discourage something new that will probably work better than a lot of those other shopping carts out there....I mean, you don't even know what it would be like, and you are putting down perlgoodies without even knowing what his capabilities are. That is bad business if you ask me, especially since you are apparently in a similar business yourself. But that is fine, everyone has their own points of view.

JMHO

Well, since I'm not in business with perlgoodies, it can't be bad business. Sorry to offend you smiley-miley. Your boyfriend himself explained what his shopping cart was going to do, nothing new there. Nope, we are not in the same business, I don't spend my time programming and coding things that have already been programmed and coded. You started this thread saying that you wanted something that you thought couldn't be done (seems kinda like a plant now) someone else told you that it could be done with an existing cart, and I told you that. But your boyfriend wants to make his own, and then try to sell it on here...an idea that popped into his head out of the blue -right. I didn't put your boyfriend down, I simply spoke my mind, sorry he's so sensitive. :) It urks me when someone puts their significant other up to doing their bidding for them.

There isn't anything wrong with coding from scratch if you can't find something that does what you want it to do, or if you're not happy with the way the 144 exsisting perl/cgi shopping cart scripts listed at cgi.resourceindex.com work. (and that's just the .cgi/.pl scripts!)

He describes this module as "template-less" or "will work on any template/website and work properly".. well the truth is any decent programmer can make ANY of the currently available cart scripts work in any exsisting design.. so there isn't anything new there.

Perhaps this new shipping calculator he's developing will allow the person who made their page with Coffee Cup or Frontpage to simply upload a few files, run the script, then VOILA! It will magically insert itself into their exsisting code in just the right places.. if so, that would be cool.

But I suspect it'll be something that if you don't know what /path/to/perl means, you're going to need somebody who does to make it work.. or maybe installation will be included.

I have to wonder, tho.. since your bf is the big scripting expert, why you'd even bother to ask the question here in the first place? Perhaps so he could publicaly answer with information about his exciting new product?

Okay, not to reply to each post individually, you're just going to have to read this if it applies to one of your comments above..

As for a plant or "as a setup for my business on here", that's okay if you think that. Whether that was the initial intent or not, it is acceptable as we are under the BUSINESS category. But to make it clear, she asked me before she made the post if I knew of a shipping calculator that she could use.

There wasn't any shipping calculators available that didn't come attached to a shopping cart system. This is where everything began. She had a paypal shopping cart and she wanted a shipping calculator. She didn't want a new cart just so she could calculate shipping.

I told her I'd look into making her a calculator that could be built into her Buy It Now buttons. Really, there is no way to go about doing that as you still need a script to store and relay information. After she posted this, and after some discussion, I said I would design her a very simple shopping cart system that would work in place of hers but would allow her to do the extra things that she needs. After getting most of the pseudo code done, I added more features to it.. and one thing let to another and this is going to turn out to be a fully functional cart.

The main intent was not to sell it on Candle Tech. It was going to be sold on SpyderScripts.com with my other web scripts. And since many people here have web sites, it's obvious other people may be interested as well. Maybe not, maybe everyone has a cart they like. But why not add one more cart to the market so people can pick from? No two carts are alike.

And yes, a coder can change the code of a premade shopping cart to do whatever you want. There are two problems with that. 1) It is against their TOS if it is a free cart to change the code; especially to remove their advertisements. 2) If you buy it, you can change it. But who wants to buy a cart that they need to reprogram to suit their needs? Why not make one for Smiley that does what she wants (for free) and resell it on my site?

This all started because she needed a calculator and I couldn't fit one in her site without a shopping cart. There was no plant here. And it's fine if some of you aren't interested but I didn't even start working on this until a day or so after this was posted.

On another note, I am trying to make my name here because this is where Smiley hangs out for her work and it would be nice to be in the same place online. Sara said I couldn't post in the other board because "web design and your services aren't exactly what we need here" which is odd because people are posting just that in those forums. I am helping people out in the web site section by helping with contact forms, setting up scripts, looking over their sites, etc.

I didn't ask her to post this and in all honesty, she didn't tell me she did at first. But in closure, if you think otherwise that's totally alright. No harm or foul any which way you look at it.

This part of the conversation is dead. If you want to talk more about calculators, carts or the like, I'm definitely up to it. That was the original point of her thread, anyway.

I have to wonder, tho.. since your bf is the big scripting expert, why you'd even bother to ask the question here in the first place? Perhaps so he could publicaly answer with information about his exciting new product?

Perhaps he was charging her too much.... ROFL!

e

You can certianly understand how one might percieve such a thread as a ruse, can't you? I mean, if I were dating a 4 star auto mechanic, I probably wouldn't post a question on a auto repair message board asking why my car makes a thumping noise.

I was under the impression that you weren't really allowed to prop services or advertise products in any other thread but the Supplier Announcments section unless somebody specifically asked, "Hey how do I?" and in responce to that question you were to reference or mention that product.

And since (for whatever reason) you aren't allowed to post in that thread, this was a way to mention it.

... but whatever.

You're 100% right.. if someone wants to use PayPal in conjunction with a static HTML page with no (or limited) back end inventory control, and they want to calculate shipping to a specific area code.. a quick .pl/.cgi/.asp/.js/.xml or even .php script could parse the USPS API, and pass that value as a product to the PayPal 'cart'.

Or they could download a copy of Xen Cart, Cube Cart, osCommerce, or one of the dozens of other free or low cost eCommerce solutions, (good hosts offer these programs to be automatically installed with Fantastico) tweek it a bit, and have it seemlessly integrated into their exsisting website and have a true eCommerce solution with an easy to configure backend with tons of features.

I honestly haven't played with .cgi/.pl for years now, and it very well could be that .cgi/.pl offerings in that arena are limited or antiquated, necessitating a new script.. since most serious development has switched from the general purpose .pl/.cgi to the faster, less resource sucking, more database friendly, built specifically for dynamic web content .php.

This is rediculous. All I did was post and ask if someone knew of a program to ADD to my existing cart. Those of you who say this was some kind of "setup" or "plant"....that is rediculous. This board was dead....I said it was taken care of, I posted that I had asked him for help, and that he was making me one. I didn't even say who it was, just that it was my boyfriend. It was at the bottom of the page! AFTER I said everything was taken care of, well...'someone' comes on and shares the brilliant idea that there are "carts out there." Well, it was already taken care of, I didn't need a whole cart to begin with, and I couldn't find any before I had posted this thread. Pardon me for asking around for advice. Prairieannie....you have stated what irks you. Well, let me share with you what irks me.

1.) Stating the obvious probably just to get a bigger number of posts.

2.) Causing all this.

3.) Stating rediculous assumptions and then using them as arguing points.

4.) Insulting someone....then apologizing for offending them....then insulting them AGAIN.

You have made false statements, and downright insulted perlgoodies and myself. I don't know why, or how this even became a big deal. It is JUST a shopping cart insert! Now please. If you don't have anything else nice to say, or at the very least, constructive critisism, then please don't post on my thread anymore. I just want this to go away. I have been a member of Candletech for a long time, and I have made some great friends. I have never had any problems, and I have built good relationships with people on here. I am an honest seller, and a reputable person. So it is quite a shocker that someone would say something like what you've said about me.

And enough with the jokes. He wasn't "charging me too much." That isn't funny, and it is just rude and mean.

And for folks looking for enhance their stock PayPal buttons with accurate shipping quotes from multiple shippers (not just USPS) you might want to give ZippyCart a look.

It's a single file install, and uses your exsisting webpage/paypal buttons so your current page won't change. (i.e. it's "template-less").

It's $49, available now, and includes lifetime licence (may or may not include upgrades/updates)

http://www.zippycart.com

I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with this outfit.. just putting a straightforward answer to the original question in case somebody in the future has the same question.

then please don't post on my thread anymore

Nowhere do I see your name as a moderator of this thread. You asked a question on a public board, which automatically made it open for discussion by the members of this forum. Yes, you said it was taken care of, but why is it a crime for me to reiterate that there was likely an easier way? What if other folks searched this forum for answers to questions like yours? Folks that didn't have an expert on hand to do what mr. goodies is doing? Folks that didn't have the money to spend on his way? Shouldn't they know that there are other ways to go about what you wanted done? Or should they just be lead to believe that they need what your boyfriend has to offer? I do not own this forum, however, I am reasonably sure it doesn't exist so that people can come here to sell what they have to offer. For those who want to do that, there is a supplier section which, with permission, what you have to offer can be advertised. If perlgoodies was turned down for that section, I am certain it was with the best interests of the members of this forum in mind. The rude and insulting behavior that I see here, is perlgoodies continuing to attempt to get around the rules and conditions of this board by blatantly advertising himself the way he is.

No, I am not a moderator. You are right, thank you for stating the obvious again. But this thread isn't for your nitpicking, either. Ever since this board started, you have been trashing me. What did I do to you? What did I say that was so wrong, except that it was taken care of? I didn't even give a name. And if someone researches this thread, they still won't find any valuable information, because you have scuzzed this board up. You didn't say one valuable piece of information on this thread. All you have done is belittle me, argue with me, talk about "reinventing the wheel," and many other things...all disguised as sweetly as you could make them. All you did was constantly jab and jab until I finally spoke up, and then this blew out of proportion, and now you are insulting me even more.

I had posted this, not to advertise pergoodies. I had searched for a cart addon. I couldn't find one in the search engines, and he couldn't either. I posted on here to see what other people were using in their carts to calculate shipping. I got no replies. So he started to make one for me. That is all. I shouldn't have to defend myself to your attacks, but I suppose I must, or you will slander my name all over the place. I also seem to remember another thread in that you weren't so nice to me, either, and it had nothing to do with this. I don't know what the problem is.

Also, pergoodies posted that he was going to ask sara to allow him to post on the supplier page. There is nothing wrong with that.

I will not be arguing on this further. You do what you want with this thread. You know what they say....you can't argue with a fool, you will always lose. So, you win, prairieannie. You win.

Prairieannie did nothing but answer your question and make an observation. I'm curious as to why you feel the need to attack her for stating the obvious and giving her opinion? I did not find her comments to be rude or unjustified in any way. Perhaps she hurt your feelings because she saw a ploy for advertisement intent and called you on it?

If I have someone who has promised to help me with something, the very last thing I want to do is go solicit help from someone else. It just doesn't make sense, does it?

I personally think that you have no right to say who may or may not post in any thread on the board unless you are a moderator or the board owner. If you do not want people to reply, then do not post. It's really quite simple.

And while I'm at it, I also thought eugenia's joke was funny as hell.

This is rediculous. All I did was post and ask if someone knew of a program to ADD to my existing cart. Those of you who say this was some kind of "setup" or "plant"....that is rediculous. This board was dead....I said it was taken care of, I posted that I had asked him for help, and that he was making me one. I didn't even say who it was, just that it was my boyfriend. It was at the bottom of the page! AFTER I said everything was taken care of, well...'someone' comes on and shares the brilliant idea that there are "carts out there." Well, it was already taken care of, I didn't need a whole cart to begin with, and I couldn't find any before I had posted this thread. Pardon me for asking around for advice. Prairieannie....you have stated what irks you. Well, let me share with you what irks me.

1.) Stating the obvious probably just to get a bigger number of posts.

2.) Causing all this.

3.) Stating rediculous assumptions and then using them as arguing points.

4.) Insulting someone....then apologizing for offending them....then insulting them AGAIN.

You have made false statements, and downright insulted perlgoodies and myself. I don't know why, or how this even became a big deal. It is JUST a shopping cart insert! Now please. If you don't have anything else nice to say, or at the very least, constructive critisism, then please don't post on my thread anymore. I just want this to go away. I have been a member of Candletech for a long time, and I have made some great friends. I have never had any problems, and I have built good relationships with people on here. I am an honest seller, and a reputable person. So it is quite a shocker that someone would say something like what you've said about me.

And enough with the jokes. He wasn't "charging me too much." That isn't funny, and it is just rude and mean.

Oh, and just one more thing that I realized that I must mention before I go. Than I won't be replying any more.

Prairieannie, did you make that Bohnen account to argue with me too? It seems awfully funny that that account was just created today and started bashing me as well. I highly doubt that some "random person" would make a new account just to bash someone's thread.

Nice one.