Online Shipping Calculator?

smiley_miley

Oh, and just one more thing that I realized that I must mention before I go. Than I won't be replying any more.

Prairieannie, did you make that Bohnen account to argue with me too? It seems awfully funny that that account was just created today and started bashing me as well. I highly doubt that some "random person" would make a new account just to bash someone's thread.

Nice one.

Actually, know, she didn't, that I can tell you.

Oh, and just one more thing that I realized that I must mention before I go. Than I won't be replying any more.

Prairieannie, did you make that Bohnen account to argue with me too? It seems awfully funny that that account was just created today and started bashing me as well. I highly doubt that some "random person" would make a new account just to bash someone's thread.

Nice one.

If this was your last post (to which you won't be replying) Why ask a question :confused: .

I never understood the (this is my last post to which I won't be replying) thing. If you aren't going to post or reply than don't. I don't think we need an announcement. JMO

This seems to be getting a little out of control. In prairieannies defense her points were valid. I mean if your boyfriend owns a script site why posrt a thread like that if he is already programming you a script? What are people supposed to think? For those who may feel she was mailicious since her hubby does cart design I say poppycock to you. Prairieannie was here long before I was and I hit this board hard when I started coming and never once has she done or said anything malicious like I was cutting into her work, as a matter of fact quite the contrary, there is room for whover here to make a dollar or to and helo out other members but I too dont see the point in reinventing the wheel and trying to sell a new script without thoroughly testing it forst. I also thing creating a perl shopping cart is like beating a dead horse in pmy opinion. 9 out of 10 real businesses use either asp or php. If you host unix use either xcart or sunshop and if you host windows use vipasp. One last note, in all the carts I just mentioned it is not against the license agreement to modify the templates to fit your website, as far as security nobody here has anywhere near the time or money to test a new cart like the ones mentioned have been tested. I have my own version of a shopping cart that I have developed over years with others and I can tell you for the money you cant beat xcart. Yeah its a little complicated but for a few hundred bucks you haire a real programmer to make it do what you want, and quite frankly if you arent willing to part with a couple of hundred dollars for a professional to build you a secure shopping cart your busness really shouldnt be doing business online yet. I just want to clear the are about the bashing of other respected members and I assure you I did not just create this account to say this.

Great :)

I don't mind going back to the original point here. I do disagree that companies use PHP now. In fact, companies are not merging towards PHP at all. It's not faster than it's older brother, Perl (let's face it, that's all PHP is if you read the syntax) and it doesn't offer any more security. There is nothing wrong with Perl, if there was Ebay and the library of congress wouldn't be using it.

Perl, ASP and Coldfusion are acceptable for companies. They are all fairly secure if you have a competent programmer. JSP is okay but it's hard to find support for it from web hosts.

It's not so much reinventing the wheel if it's a custom script for her. Every script was built custom for some one and then it branched off into a full blown solution. There are a million carts out there, I know, but no one should tell you not to build your own script.

And there are TOSes out there for free shopping carts that don't allow you to remove the advertisements. That's how they make their money.

There's nothing wrong with making things yourself. There's actually a lot of pride that comes from it. For instance, and old retiree can widdle himself a deer, unicorn or even a chair out of wood if he wanted to. Would you tell him not to reinvent the wheel, too, since you can just get them at the store or find them elsewhere? I don't use other people scripts on my clients or my web site. Unless you really know the company and the code they produce, how much trust can you put in their code?

Again, I am not saying I am the world's best programmer but I know how secure my scripts are. I don't need to have any guess work or read through their source code for hours on end just to be able to implement a new update.

For those who stayed on topic, thanks. If anyone knows of any shipping calculators, feel free to post them if they're not apart of a cart.

I did not mean to discourage you from creating your own script. I do however find it very strange that you would develop a custom secure shopping cart for each customer unless they were paying you big dollars to do so. I have a custom cart which my wifes site runs that has costed me well over five or six thousand dolloars to develop myself and with other programmers. I dont see how you could do that for a "free" cart. I also think if you are a reputable companiy maybe you shouldnt be using a "Free" cart with advertisments for a business unless you are making candles with "free wax and jars and lables" whats the difference right you need to invest in any business to make it a business INHO. As for your perl comments I like use and prgram perl myslef, ebay does not use perl anymore just because you see cgi.ebay doesnt mean it perl, perl is not the same a php as perl is way more of a resource hog and alot less secure then php. Perl in not php's older brother but php is perls replacement and any programmer will tell you. I say go ahead make your own cart and I wish you the best of luck with it but I agree with others as far as why make something tht can be purchased and customized in days. As far as their security? For the carts I mentioned why dont you go to their websites and ask their thousands and thousands of customers how secure they are. One last thing before this turns into a peeing contest, i'll show you my masters in computer science if you show me yours.

"Perl (let's face it, that's all PHP is if you read the syntax) and it doesn't offer any more security. There is nothing wrong with Perl, if there was Ebay and the library of congress wouldn't be using it."

First, let's make clear that Perl is not a website/web application specific programming language, it's what was available at the beginning, and the best option at the time.. in fact Perl has been around since 1987.

It was written by a man named Larry Wall, because he wanted a language that had all the features of sed, C, awk and the Bourne Shell.

It got an overhaul in 1994, adding many features and updates, but it still isn't a web specific programming language.. which in all honesty has it's benefits, but also has disadvantages.

PHP evolved simularly, but from the very start was designed and intended to be web specific language, which makes development fast. While earlier versions of PHP weren't all that great, PHP5 (released in 2004) has come quite a long way, and is the preferred language for hundreds of thousands of web designers.. mostly because of it's web specific and built in database capabilities, which mean less lines of code to produce the same result.

I don't maintain that Perl is bad, I just contend that it's old, non Web specific, and in most web applications (on shared servers), PHP sucks less resources and runs faster.

As far as eBay using it, i'm not convinced eBay's core has been running anything Perl based in some time.. and the Library of Congress uses it??

Have a look at a bit of code from their search page (search.loc.gov/query.html)

<h2 id="more">Of  Interest</h2>
<ul id="res_links">
<li><a href="http://www.loc.gov/today/index.php">Library News & Events</a><br />
News, events, and features from America's library</li>
<li><a href="http://www.loc.gov/today/cyberlc/index.php">Webcasts from the Library of Congress</a><br

In fact, browsing thru the loc.gov website, it's clear they use a combination of languages, including PHP, Java, and (on americanslibrary.gov) Perl.

PHP's stability and speed on sites just like the message board you're reading this post on now speaks for itself.

If a phpBB message board (written in PHP, and arguably one of the more clunky PHP based message boards) can handle 459,389,738 articles posted with 2,912,735 registered users and has had 41,319 users online at once reading, searching, and posting as GaiaOnline.com has, i'm confident PHP can handle most eCommerce applications without breaking a sweat.

Now if somebody is going to have 50,000+ customers browsing and buying at the same time, i'll conciede that maybe PHP isn't the ideal language to use.. but I wouldn't pick Perl, either.

"Perl (let's face it, that's all PHP is if you read the syntax) and it doesn't offer any more security. There is nothing wrong with Perl, if there was Ebay and the library of congress wouldn't be using it."

I think you guys are lost, LOL. This is Candletech. The programmer forums are down the hall, turn left. I'd help you but I don't speak your language, LOL.

e

I think you guys are lost, LOL. This is Candletech. The programmer forums are down the hall, turn left. I'd help you but I don't speak your language, LOL.

e

YUP!

Wow, I just came to peak at this thread....I had a programmer integrate my shipping module into my shopping cart (Canada Post...I was lost!)

It is nice that your boyfriend is helping you, OP.