Lip Balm Confusion

OverSoyed

As I said previously, we are working on our B&B line. Last night's project was lip balms.

We purchased Flavor Oils from WSP and I'm not getting the taste at all.

I assumed there would be some taste to them, after all, flavor implies taste, but nothing at all.

We didn't add any sweetener at first, then we tried with a packet of Equal, and it didn't incorporate.

I've read all the posts regarding sweetening lip balms, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

I've already laid out $1,000 on supplies, and don't care to spend much more.

I don't want to have super sweet balm, but enough to at least taste what the flavor is.

The scent of the oils are great... but you just can't taste them.

Is there anything at the grocery I can pick up that will work? Stevia? Splenda? Liquid Sugar?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad2::confused::sad2:

If I'm not mistaken...the flavor oils from WSP are not sweetened. I ordered some of the kiss kwenchers from Bittercreek for that reason....they're pre-sweetened.

What about honey? Not sure if that's ok to use...I'm a lip balm newbie.

I tried Sweet n Low in the first batch... not sweet at all... and grainy.

I tried Slenda in the second batch.... sweeter but not by much.

Next I'm going with Truvia and Equal.

I wanted to get liquid sweetener, but WM didn't have any.

I was also going to try Agave Syrup, but I was worried that it would turn the balms brown.

I've used the 'sweet berries' scent of WSP's flavor oil and I didn't like it either. It didn't have any flavor once it sat for a while. All you could end up tasting was the coconut oil in my recipe.

I thought that maybe if I sweetened it with liquid stevia it would make it better. I haven't tried it out yet though.

I've heard that's a good sweetner for lip balms. I'm just going to try another brand next time or use candy flavoring from the cake store.

I don't sweeten my lip balms and I don't buy sweetened flavors either. IMO, the "flavors" are really scents that trick your brain into believing you taste them. If they are sweet, people will lick their lips, their lips get dry and they think you make sucky lip balm.

I got a lip balm in a swap the other day and it was so sweet I had to wipe it off.

I'm with Carrie,

I don't like my balms sweetened, usually (got one in a swap in a Root Beer flavor and its touch of sweet rules!). I don't sweeten my balms and have never had anyone ask for them to be sweet.

I don't label them as 'flavored' specifically, and do explain that balms that seem to be flavored are just sweetened, and the brain attaches actual flavor to the product because the mouth tastes the sweet (or tart depending on the fragrance).

I don't sweeten for the same reason as Carrie, too... Sweet means lip licking which means they wear off the balm faster and end up with the same dry lips they had before.

I don't sweeten my lip balms and I don't buy sweetened flavors either. IMO, the "flavors" are really scents that trick your brain into believing you taste them. If they are sweet, people will lick their lips, their lips get dry and they think you make sucky lip balm.

I got a lip balm in a swap the other day and it was so sweet I had to wipe it off.

I feel pretty much the same about sweet stuff on my lips. It makes me feel like there's food that needs to licked off. :rolleyes2

"Flavor oils" don't actually flavor. They are a lip-safe fragrance oil. It has been noted in many places that if you sweeten a lip balm, folks will tend to lick their lips more which erodes the lip balm, thereby defeating the purpose of the balm. I prefer my lip balm unsweetened but do like the fragrance aspect of the "flavor" oil. You're simply fooling the taste buds through your nose.

Well, I like a little sweetener in my balms and I don't feel that I lick my lips with it, but it takes all kinds to make up a world, right?

I'm a fan of MMS Sugar Kisses and haven't used anything else yet. From all I've read, incorporating solid sweeteners (Equal, Splenda, etc.) into your balms is tricky at best and some call it downright impossible. Honey tends not to distribute evenly, leaving balms with pockets of honey in them.

Honestly, if you're looking to create a quality product and have already invested $1,000, what's another few bucks for a bottle of quality balm sweetener? If time is money, you'll end up saving a lot in the end.

Do a search for sweeten and you'll get a sense of the different products out there.

Good Luck!

Has anyone used the mango from lipbalm tubes. I have having the hardest time getting the right flavor. I have used stevia in my lip balms for over 10 years now. I think the trick is not to use so much that it is so sweet. It is just to take the bit out. I dont lick my lips with mine, but everyone is different.