had my first wholesale

ajna

and just sent them out today. Not too bad, took one and a half days to fill 100 candles. This was my first time shipping out something so big so I kinda messed up on the shipping. I undercharged the customer! Feeling kinda bad about that, but Im telling my self I will learn from my mistake and calculate shipping better. :angry2:

Anyone been as dumb as me? :laugh2:

Please tell me its a first timers mistake (even if its not, just to cheer me up):rolleyes2

LOL, I still undercharge some of my customers on shipping. Although, mine is a little different and irks me to no end, which is why I dont use FedEx anymore. Everytime I would get an estimate on shipping, I would go to FedEx, and they would forever charge me a fuel surcharge. I figured out their little scheme too. If you ship from big city to big city, no fuel surcharge. Anywhere else though and they get ya.

I've only done it once with UPS and told the lady about it when I was at the store to ship it. Sometimes I just dont want to take the time to do online shipping and print everything out but I find that if I do, my shipping quote is more accurate. I think the counter people can add on other costs on a whim. JMO though.

• 2 weeks later...

UPS.com is much cheaper than a UPS store, because they will charge you their extra high fee. You could also try setting up a UPS account, which is free to do. I set one up, and then when I order supplies, some of my suppliers will allow me to bill to my UPS account. After a little while UPS started giving me their better rates and I really wasn't even using their service all that much. Still get the sneaky fuel surcharges, but any place I can get little breaks in shipping costs I'll take it.

I used USPS for my order of 100 candles.The first order was that but her second order was 90. Just did that a month ago. The cost was $83.70. Husband and I figured and we got 15 candles in each flat rate box. perfect fit. Wholesaler was so happy and I was too. She sent me some of her great products for doing such a good job with the order. :)

She wasn't into shipping with USPS. Ordered things before that were breakable and it was a disaster.Every candle was fine and no problem with any breaking.:yay:

With shipping costs I want to keep the price down. If it gets to high we could lose wholesalers. So far things are fine with me using USPS.

LynnS

Lynn, what jars did you send? I was afraid the flat rate box would be too many boxes to ship.

I do have a UPS account, but I must of added the weights wrong because it weight more then what i thought.

It was the 10 ounce classic jar. Sorta like the hexagon.The only time I sell that jar is with this wholesaler. Once in a great while a order or 2 but 98% of the time customers want the JJ.

It took 6 boxes but the price cannot be beat for that many candles.This order was 90 candles.

Husband and I did some working on it.We used the larger flat rate box. Took the divider out of the candle box we get our jars from. We bubble wrapped the jars and put them in the divider. Then we wrapped the other candles with newspaper and put them around the divider(snug). So 15 candles in the 6 boxes.Worked perfect. Also did some cushioning with newspaper and peanuts to finish it off. No breakage and the customer and I were both pleased.:)

That is a good order for the price it cost to ship. I love USPS for shipping but someday it might not work. May have to go with one of the other companies.I am OK with all the boxes and sure my wholesaler is fine with that too. With a cost so reasonable.

LynnS