Incense fragrances??

theresa t

I know there are several scents used to make incense and they seem to turn out pretty good, at least for me they have. I have had luck with sandalwood, nag champa, patchouli, some of the aromatherapy type scents, black cherry and a few other fruity types. I've not had much luck with florals. I love floral scents in both candles and incense.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if I should use EO's or FO's for making incense? I've not made alot of it and have never tried the EO's when making incense so was just kind of wondering what everyone else who makes it uses? I do it mainly for myself and some of my girls friends. I would like for it to be "scented" and not just smell like a burning incense stick if you know what I mean. Any advice on which way to go or if there are any of the suppliers out there that have oils that are better than others for making incense?

you would still have to cut the eo's with dpg. I haven't used any floral scents to make incense with. I've had good luck with strawberry, strawberry musk (mc's strawberry jam & mc's musk) mc's just peachy (love this). of course the standards, sandalwood, patchouli, nag champa, lavender. I've had a request for blueberry. I'm still looking for a good blueberry. oh vanilla is pretty popular for incense.

Thanks carol. I knew I would still have to use the dpg for EO's as well but have tried a few suppliers and not got the results I had hoped for with FO's. I've never worked with EO's before so didn't know if those would be better to use. Thanks again!

Ooh incense! One of my favorite topics! I tried a lavender EO and compared it to a lavender FO and found that the EO was quite a bit weaker than the FO in my incense. I've had much more success with FO's than EO's.

I guess it's possible that I cut the EO too much, but if I didn't do a larger EO to DPG ratio, the cost of making the EO incense would just be too much.

with my fo/dpg mix, I mix it 50/50 with no problems at all.

I use flickers merlins forest it is a great incense oil. I couldn't stand the fairy garden. I use quite a few fo's from sos for incense. I really like their psychedelic dreams, hypnotic poison, black love, dragons blood (forgot about that one), royal copenhagen, all sos grade. Lets see what else do i use, bcn's china rain, mc's dreamcatcher, flickers mystic woods (not sure if elements has this or if flicker is keeping it) mc's realities, ng's curve,

mc's lavender fields mixed with mc's sandalwood. I just recently bought backwoods earth goddess. I haven't had a chance to make any incense wiath it yet.

I may have to try the 50/50 mix and see if that works better. I was doing the 2 to 1 like the instructions called for on BC's site. Maybe that is why some of mine are a little weaker?? I am going to be using some sample scents I got and try a couple of them like this and see how it turns out. Thanks for all of ideas on this!

grama~I'll go take a look at Flickers site and see what they are saying over there too! Thanks for the tip! Appreciate it! :cheesy2:

I've only had a problem with FO separating on two oils that I've put into incense ... one was AHRE's Rapture and the other was blueberry from NG.

I haven't had problems with a jasmine, but I'd say you're cutting it too much and that's probably why you're disappointed. BCN, I thought, had the same instructions as SOS.

I just double checked and BC instructions say mix 1 part FO to 2 or 3 parts dpg. Those are the instructions I have went by. I guess I should tweak it a little and see what results I will get. Thanks for the suggestions on this! I am off to try a couple of the scents I have this way and will see what happens when it is done!! Thanks again to all!! :)