Re-center wick?

I poured my first few candles and before I learned how to pull the wick taut and hook it to the tab on the centering tool I ended up with a few candles with the wicks way off center. Would it cause any problems if I just remelt the candle and let it harden again with the wick centered properly?

I'm assuming these are just for you to test with since you said they're your first few candles.....on that said being said I say it's okay. How are you going to remelt it safely?

You do realize that you will lose some of your fragrance since you'll have to melt the whole candle, so when you burn it you won't get a true throw. I wouldn't even use this candle as a test candle since your variables will have changed.

You raise some good points there. I would like to have them centered so I can properly gauge the melt pool. If it's far enough to one side I think I run the risk of leaving one side of the candle partially unmelted.

As for how to do it I was thinking either a candle warmer (assuming they can melt the entire 6oz of wax or putting them in the oven on the lowest setting. I still need to get feedback as to whether either or those 2 methods would work safely.

Do you think I would lose very much of the fragrance?

I have melted it on a warmer before to change a wick out. Yes, it does not give you a true test but it does help you get wicking narrowed down some.

One tip I learned on the forum that has helped me out is pouring the first testers as wickless (i've been doing half a jar since you wick for the bottom of the jar). Once it is hardened, poke a hole and cut a portion of a wick (i normally do 3 to 4 inches) and put it in the hole. I use a heat gun to set it in place. It allows for a couple of burn tests for each portion. Once I find one that appears to be good I pour a full jar on do a complete burn test for that wick. If I'm still happy I will pour some more jars and see if I get consistant results.

I don't know who sugguested doing that, but it has been saving me a lot of time in wondering if a wick will survive to the end of the jar.

You actually don't need to completely melt the whole jar. Take a pointed 'something', chop stick, whatever and poke a bunch of deep holes around the wicks, then pull on the wick and center it. Take your heat gun and melt the top of the candle to fill in the holes.....easy, peasy!! :cool2: