Fundraiser questions

Tess

Okay so I am thinking of getting into some fund-raisers. It has always seemed like a lot of work but I figure what the heck.

A couple things that are bumming me out is that I do not want to spend more on this than I make. I have my cost figured out for the product. I am selling at retail and splitting 50/50. Now I see most places provide forms for free. I have a brochure type order form that is going to cost me 1.00 for each one to print. So I am thinking I should charge 1.00 per form. But since all the websites I visited have free forms I am afraid this might be a head turner.

Then there is shipping. For those not located by me of course. I see many places ship for free. I obviously cannot afford to do this. However the organization might not either after shipping prices these days.

Finally what about packaging? I notice a lot of places offer separating orders for an extra fee per order, but if the organization were to chose to do it themselves, how do you ensure they pack it correctly to get it to the customer without breaking jars. I don't want them to chunk jars in bags without wrapping them and then I have to make up for the loss.

Any of you deal with these issues?

thx

We offer all of the forms for free and give extra copies if they need it (they are in color and some orgs don't have access to a color copier).

We have only done one FR that was out of town but the org wanted us to raise the price of each candle a little and say that the price included shipping. It was a small group so it worked out to approx. what shipping would have been and we shipped each order to the actual person. If you shipped it to the actual org, I would think it was their responsibility to make sure it was packaged correctly to ship to a person. Maybe you could include some notes/instructions about how to wrap the candles?

For local orders, we have both broken out the orders by customer and just left the candles in boxes by scent - it just depends on what the org wants and how large the group is.

HTH!

As far as the forms go, I've never heard of a company charging for the brochure. I have had a few now where the organization has a deposit fee for my samples. Maybe you could raise your prices a tad to account for that.

And, as far as packaging for each individual order. That's the organization's problem not mine. I hand them cases, they distribute the candles to the kids/parents. If they break them, I offer to replace at the same price. Once I've delivered in good shape, my liability is done.

After I get all the FR information. Everything is done online.

I make up the order form and Tally sheet and email the forms.

They print it out and give to the kids.

I do send sample packets of the 12 scents that they chose for free. .

(Up to 20 packets) I get a lot more sales if they can smell the scent.

They email me the completed tally sheet at the end with to scent totals, and snail mail me their check.

It is up to the organization to separate by participant, I only separate by scent.

We are all trying to make money at this, us and the organization.

So to keep the costs down for all of us, this is the way I do it..

I only do fundraisers that are within driving distance from me.

It is way to much to ship hundreds of candles and very time consuming too.

I am lucky enough lo have many local fundraisers to keep me busy.

Hope this helps and good luck..

I love fundraisers. It is a great way to make some good $$..

Thanks all!

The forms are going to be the biggest PITB. I could print them out on reg. paper and black and white, but to me it does not look very attractive and professional. It would save money for the organization and myself, but I am wondering if it will inhibit sales too.

I've got a simple layout on color that I am having printed up by VistaPrint. I suppose I could stock up 25 at a time when they are on sale. I may have to go up on % this though, to cover cost. I am just afraid that by doing by %, that I could be setting myself up to shelling out more for the forms that the % I am charging.

Those of you who provide the forms free, how are you offsetting the cost?

Thanks again

You can get the forms from I think it is the BitterCreek forum, can't remember the name of it. They have everything you need. The order form does not have to be a big expense. I just print mine off in color with no problem.

I would factor the cost of the brochure into the cost of the candle. The best thing to do is to create a generic brochure that can be used for every fundraiser you have. Some people like to customize them for the group that is selling the product, which is fine if you are creating them and printing them yourself, but if you have to take them to the copy shop or the printer, costs can add up quickly.

You probably already know this, but the other thing to do is to limit the number of scents you have available, then buy those scents in bulk to save more money. Sure, selling the same 10-12 scents gets boring, but you can always do "limited editions" and add a supplement to your order form listing other fragrances if you ever get the desire.

If it's not financially feasible to have a color copies, colored paper is always an option. Neon pink paper gets attention and should be hard for kids to lose!

I'm assuming you will primarily be doing only local fundraisers. So, if you can or want to deliver, that is always an option. If possible, you could also let them pick up their order at your home or a mutually agreeable location, telling them you can "save them shipping costs" by allowing pick-ups. Now if people in other states find you and still want to buy from you, then obviously, they should expect shipping charges, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about packing and someone else getting it mixed up--just include a packing slip in every box with everything listed, and state that it's their responsibility to confirm their order and that any discrpancies or damage must be reported within X amount of days for replacement or credit.

To avoid worry about them breaking things when they repackage, you should state in your introductory kit to the person in charge of the fundraiser exactly how the product will arrive to them, meaning whether or not each candle will arrive individually packaged. You might look into how much individual boxes cost for each candle and if it's not too much, you can sell those for an extra fee or factor them in with the cost of everything else. The important thing is that there not be any "suprises" (unless they're good ones!) for the customer.

Thank you Sock! All very good info. The brochure is definitely a generic type. It is in color (One side) and that has the product info. The inside is the order form. I am having brochures made for each "season". So just best sellers for that particular time. I think I am going to go with 8 Fragrances.

As for packaging, I think I may go with a *sorting fee*, that I will offer at the end of the fundraiser. I'll have to work details out but the price will vary depending on the order size. totally optional of course. If they choose to do it themselves, I will probably show them how to package the items myself.

Thank you again for all your replies!!

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older thread but Islandgirl, you said that you include packets of the scents that the org. chose. Do you mean you give these samples to the kids so they have a sample of the scents to show the folks they are selling to? And also what do you use to make the scented packets? Are they votives or ?

My sons school had a fundraiser recently but it was for glycerin soaps. It didnt go over well at all and now they are back to selling candy bars. I think that if people had a chance to actually smell the scents, the kids would of sold more of the soap.

I use the .75oz portion cups..

I put 12 sample cups of the scents in alittle bag with my business card. Then the organization can give it to the sellers so they can let their potential buyers smell it.

It does help sales.. Like when you sell Monkey Fart.. People want to smell it. LOL

If it is a big FR, I will limit the amount of sample bags... They will have to share.. But for the small ones, I try to let each participant get a sample.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/dart-075pc-3-4-oz-plastic-souffle-portion-cup-2500-cs/760P075.html

Also here is the site that soemone mentioned for forms:

http://www.candlecauldron.com/fundraisers.html

HTH

Edited by islandgirl

I started that in the beginning and they have never questioned it. Making the sample packs gets expensive! Each seller that gets the sample pack the person in charge just takes it out of what that seller makes. Works real good for me :cheesy2:

• 6 months later...