Crisco - ???

SimplyBea

I keep seeing references to Crisco but what oil is it?

I did a search on google and on their website they have all sorts of different oils!!!

Does it mean that when a recipe says Crisco - it can be an of the oils branded by them? That doesn't make much sense to me so I am really missing something here.

I had not even paid any attention or noticed that brand before until starting on my soap research...... and now I see it on the shelves in the supermarket but there is a HUGE range of different ones with their labels????

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm pretty sure the Crisco that is referred to here is the Crisco brand of solid vegetable shortening. I just looked on their website, too, and it looks like it may only be sold in stick form now (like butter) instead of the cans I used to buy. The ingredients look quite soap-friendly; they are are follows:

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Someone please correct me if I'm steering her in the wrong direction--I don't make "real" soap, just M&P, but I love to read about soap-making with plans to do it someday.

Jane

Hmmmmm - it does confuse me........ I know lard - that is pretty easy (I think) and well labelled. I actually do not know of a vegetable shortening here in Australia.

Would a solid 'oil' like supafry (I think it is all vegetable - must check next time I am in town) be a vegetable shortening? It is used for deep frying.....

For tomorrow's batch - I am going to try something really simple - not sure what yet, but mainly Olive Oil, coconut oil and castor oil - will be running some figures through soapcalc before I even put my gloves on!!!!

:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Sounds like the "Supafry" might be similar to our Crisco solid. I would take a copy of the ingredients listed above in the Crisco to the store and compare them with the ingredients list on Supafry.

Have fun--I still hope someone with actual soaping experience will come on here and confirm that I'm right about this!!

Jane

I have used Crisco shortening in my soaps and it soaps awesomely..

usually when Crisco is written in a recipe its the shortening that Alajane listed the ingredients of.The only one that I have used was the one in the tub not sticks..I am not sure if theres a formula difference between the two.

I would check the label and see what the supafry has in it.The problem with blended oils(oils that have more than one type of oil in it) is not knowing what the %'s are so not knowing what their SAP value is..

If theres a blended oil that I want to use to soap with I contact the company and see what their SAP value is.

good luck..

cant wait to see what your first batch turns out like

I get my veg. shortening from walmart. They have two kinds there. One is a soybean/cottonseed blend. And the other is soybean/palm or palm kernel blend. I like the one with cottonseed. If you put the numbers for soybean and cottonseed in SoapCalc it gives you the same numbers and same water and lye info. So when I am formulating recipes with this particular shortening, I just list it as soybean oil.

I have found both soybean and cottonseed oil make CP very creamy and nice. And shortening is a great price. I have used up to 20% in recipes with great results.

I didn't pick the one with palm or palm kernel cuz I like to have more control over those two oils in my recipes, and they are not similar to soybean oil. It seems like it would make formulating a recipe harder when using this blend.

I will have to wait until the next trip in to town (45km from me) which will not be until early May........ am so confused about vegetable 'shortening' and oils - am going to 'google' and see what it comes up with........

:confused::confused::confused:

SimplyBea..

what are you confused about as far as the shortening and the oils??

maybe we can help!!:)

Hi Jeanna & Smitten

Sorry - my internet was up & down yesterday and I had actually replied but see that my reply didn't get thru!!!

My confusion is what is actually being referred to when a recipe calls for just CRISCO - is it an oil or is it the vegetable shortening?

• When I first saw it in the recipes - I thought it was a specific oil branded CRISCO (I didn't realise they had a huge range of different oils until I started looking out for it in the supermarket)

When I started googling to see what it might have been referring to - I couldn't find any clear definitions - they were just recipes with CRISCO

• then someone explained it is "vegetable shortening" - and can you believe I really don't know what that is?
  • I do not believe that our local supermarket carries CRISCO shortening although they carry a few oils from CRISCO - so I wondered if I might be able to try to find an alternative to CRISCO here or sub it with something else that is not
    • animal fat OR
    • Palm Oil

One of my friends who I am making these soaps for is very much against Palm Oil and wants a soap which does not contain animal fats.....

So maybe I just won't be able to use any recipe which has Palm Oil, CRISCO or Lard ???

:confused::confused:

SimplyBea..

gotcha..ok,Crisco is a brand name and yes,they carry all sorts of oil,butters,shortenings so I can see why that can get overwhelming..so to break it down when you see a recipe that says Crisco they are usually meaning the shortening in the blue tub..

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2007/01/26/20070126_crisco_18.jpg

Crisco doesnt have neither palm nor lard so if you do find it its all for you to use..

you could just want to make a soap with just some coconut oil and olive oil..at the grocery store you can cruise the oil isle and see what you have available..regular vegetable oil is usually soybean-you can use that too..

anywho..bottom line read labels of the oils that you come across make sure you know whats in it and really experiment and have fun..

oh,and shortening is usually a muxture of oils..if you want to soap it you can contact the company to see what their SAP value is so that you can figure out how much lye to use..

good luck..and have fun shopping..

SimplyBea..

gotcha..ok,Crisco is a brand name and yes,they carry all sorts of oil,butters,shortenings so I can see why that can get overwhelming..so to break it down when you see a recipe that says Crisco they are usually meaning the shortening in the blue tub..

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2007/01/26/20070126_crisco_18.jpg

Crisco doesnt have neither palm nor lard so if you do find it its all for you to use..

you could just want to make a soap with just some coconut oil and olive oil..at the grocery store you can cruise the oil isle and see what you have available..regular vegetable oil is usually soybean-you can use that too..

anywho..bottom line read labels of the oils that you come across make sure you know whats in it and really experiment and have fun..

oh,and shortening is usually a muxture of oils..if you want to soap it you can contact the company to see what their SAP value is so that you can figure out how much lye to use..

good luck..and have fun shopping..

Thanks! I won't really be able to make sense I guess until I get to the supermarket.

They have a very limited supply of oils but at least I can get Olive Oil, Canola, Sunflower and 'mixed vegetable oil' (which I wouldn't even bother with.........) in 2L cans and they do have some smaller bottles of Macadamia, Grapeseed oil.........

They don't carry palm, coconut and soybean oil here........ so I will have to try and get that on the mainland.....

You said you are in Australia? I found this site that sells US products in Australia.

http://www.usafoods.com.au/

Their site includes Crisco name brand. Just put it in the search option and it will come up.

I read somewhere else that another name for Crisco in Australia is Copha, sold near the butter area of stores.

Does this help? They may have other oils at this place too, I didn't look.

Jeanna

I LURV you already!!!!! :P

Thank you for that - none of my online searches turned THAT up for me!!!

We are going to the mainland for a couple of days next week so I will be checking out the supermarkets and asian grocers in Adelaide to see what I can find!!!

I don't even know what copha is...... :confused:

Time to read some labels methinks!!!

hugs

b

I've used Crisco too and the soap seemed to turn out fine (it's still curing so I haven't actually used it yet).

I can't remember what soap calculator I used, but it actually had Crisco listed as an oil.

I also just bought liquid crisco that says soybean oil as the ingredients. :)

I think I might have found a lead...... I might even be blind!!!!

A colleague of mine seems to think she has seen Crisco (solid) in the local supermarket (but then, they are a it and miss affair with their stock..... it might not have been there when I was last looking)..... but it seems like it could be available in the bigger supermarkets in Adelaide so I will keep my eyes open.

IF I used Crisco soybean oil - would that have the same effect in a recipe that calls for Crisco???

See - THAT is what confuses me because they don't say WHICH oil/product from Crisco.....

:(

b

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...... no CRISCO shortening anywhere I went but I did manage to coma across a vegetable shortening here called COPHA.......

The label says

• Hardened Coconut Oil
  • Soya bean Lecithin

There are no percentage breakdowns anywhere I can determine on the label....!!! :confused::confused:

The block looks white - like solidified coconut oil and there is no smell.....

IF I were to use this, would I put it through as Coconut Oil (hardened) ?? I can't call them as it is the weekend and am not even sure that they would be able to get back to me with the breakdown anyway.....

I wouldnt .. but you could and see what happens..you may NEVER know..but without the % of what oils are what the SAP value cant be known..

but when you do talk to them even if they dont give you a % breakdown of each oil you can ask them what the SAP value for the shortening is...

good luck..and try it it may be awesome..