Candle tins Verses Glass Jars

which do you prefer ? i have always used the 8 oz jj but have been thinking about using 8 oz tins.. i have been doing some reading on here and alot of ppl end up having to double wick the 8oz tins.. the ones i was thinking about getting are 2 inches high and 3 inch diameter. i also read something about the tins rusting ??

so can anyone give me some advice, suggestions on where i would want to start wick wise if i decide to go this route. im using GB 415.. as of right now i have HTP 104 wicks.

I can't help you with your wax/wick combo but I know when I made these I could get away with single wicking with paraffin but had to double wick my palm.

As far as rusting, they would "discolor" on the inside with any scent that was heavy in vanilla (for me: french vanilla, blueberry muffin, banana nut bread, etc)

I make several sizes of palm & soy candles in glass containers. I also make 6 oz. travel tins in both soy & palm wax. Never had to double wick any of 'em. I prefer glass containers because I personally think they are prettier. I offer the one size of travel tins for those who prefer them. My tins do not rust.

Hmmm... that doesn't sound good! Perhaps it's the particular FO giving you trouble. I haven't had any problems with rust yet... however, the only vanilla-containing FO I have poured in tins thus far is a lavendar vanilla. We don't pour a lot of tins and generally keep very few around except at Christmas. We have poured very few of the ones we ordered from CS, so I may have a rude awakening in my future...:shocked2: The ones from the other two sources have never given us any problem, but as I said, I have not poured any in a pure vanilla FO...

How long does it take for the rust to develop? :confused: I think I may just go pour some Very Vanilla in one of the new tins and see what happens...

I never tested one for time to be exact but I would say a coupla months. I use VV from CS and it is a disaster in a tin. I get some corrosion with some other bakery scents but not too bad since I use dye in those. I think I read that someone mentioned having a problem with cinnamon in a tin but I haven't had a problem with spice scents. Only vanilla and vanilla blends. I understand that Specialty Bottle tins are coated and I might grab a couple to try. I hate not being able to offer vanilla in my tins. I believe it has a wide appeal for gift giving. Or maybe its just my fave.:smiley2:

Deb

• 4 weeks later...

I have made many 8oz tins with soy and used an rd47 wick (only 1) and they burned just fine. I've also not had any problems with rust. Several of my customers send their tins back for refills, and they burn just as clean as can be. I got my soy from Candlewic and my tins from ebottles. Hope this helps!

Sandy

I recently started testing 8oz tins and most the FO I've tried so far are doing well with an eco12. They burn clean after the first couple of burns without getting too hot. That was the first wick I tried, after doing some searching on the board. :yay:

No rusting or discoloration....yet

I use C3 or 444