Wick problem

Well I'll try to explain this and hope it comes across. We've had a few issues now that we cant explain and dont rightly know what's going on. We have a 8 oz Bail wire jar that has been having a wick issue. The wick is moving to one corner. We've had 4 occurances of this now. The wick tab is still attatched to the bottom in the center. The wick is in the center at the top, but as they burn, the wick burns to a corner. We are using a Paraffin Veg blend wax CI-123 is the number on the box, and Yaleys medium bleached wick # N/110164. this is a non cored wick. We have had no issues like this with any other container, and the only difference in wick is that our small and large wicks have a zinc wire core. The only thing that I can think of is that my wife may be taking the wick bar off too soon and as the wax continues to cool it is pulling the wick off to one side. Any Other suggestions of what may be happening, or ways to solve this little dillema? Second problem to ask for help with is from my nephew again. He's having problems with his wicks falling over into the melt pool and getting covered over by the wax. He's using Yaleys Wicks also and none of his are zinc wire cored. Could this be his problem? He says his melt pool is alitlle over 1/4 inches deep but not quite 1/2 inch deep. he's using 6oz and 10 oz Victorian jars from Lonestar candle company. Any help for either of us will be greatly appreciated. First picture is of our 8oz Bale wire jar we are having issues with. 2cd pic is of the 6 and 10oz jars my nephew is having issues with. (well ok the pic is of our jars, but he uses the same ones.)

post-10455-139458454571_thumb.jpg

post-10455-139458454573_thumb.jpg

I am not familiar with this wax or the wick But, could you possibly have some tunneling going on by the wick. I have had issues in the past, depending on the temp of the environment in which I am pouring, that I will have a smooth top, but if I poke there will be a cavern by the wick. Even after the candle has totally cooled, the top is mooth but if I poked, about half way down jar there was an air gap between wick and wax. Once the candle burns and hits the air gap the wick moves. Just a thought.

It could be what Judette said but could also be air flow. Your candle is getting or the candle is creating a draft that is pushing the wick to one corner. I have had that happen in the past.

I would see if where you are burning is the problem move you candle to a different area and burn them there.

I think the yaley wicks for both you and your nephew are part of the problem. I have personally never thought much of yaley wicks. Try a HTP, CD or even the RRD wicks I think you will like the result better

Square braided wicking is meant for molded candles. You should stick to wicking that's designed for container candles. That would include any type of cored wick. It would also include flat braided wicks with increased rigidity for container applications, such as LX, CD, HTP, ECO, etc.

I agree with Top but how high you pour could also contribute to the problem. I remember several people (myself included) having issues with hex jars having holes in them. If you pour up to the neck it cools faster and then craters form in the center of the candle. Try pouring lower than the neck and get better wicks.

• 1 month later...
I agree with Top but how high you pour could also contribute to the problem. I remember several people (myself included) having issues with hex jars having holes in them. If you pour up to the neck it cools faster and then craters form in the center of the candle. Try pouring lower than the neck and get better wicks.

Off topic! The picture of the two little girls on your profile pic...is wayyyyy cute! And thanks for letting me wonder about that dollar!!!!Grose!