When is CP soap safe to use?

tamsoycandles

Has your soap gelled? If yes, I think it may be safe to try, although I noticed my soap feels completely different if I let it go through cure, so I don't bother to try my soaps before that. If it has not gelled, I would not use it. I burned my fingers on soap that has not gelled even 2-3 days after it was made. Actually, I gell all my soaps, but I am talking about the soap that stays in the soaping pot or if I spill some out when transferring the soap mixture from soaping pot to my mold. That becomes an ungelled soap and it is still caustic for days, in my opinion, I would not knowingly touch it with bare hands.

I'm not positive if it gelled or not... I soaped it fairly cool. I poured into a wooden mold and wrapped it up inside an insulated carrier.

I've handled the cut soap and haven't noticed anything. Perhaps I'll try some in a not-so-sensitive-area and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Tony

Gel or not, I try a bar right away with each new scent or recipe. I've never had any problems. The only difference I've noticed between a new bar and a cured bar is that the new one is much softer and won't last as long. I may be wrong but I think what Patka might have experienced was lye pockets.

patka, you must be really sensitive to the lye when it's first made. I handle all my soaps, gelled or not and don't seem to have any problems. Isn't that weird? Some people are just more sensitive than others I guess.

Tony, just try washing your hands with it. But have some vinegar ready if you start feeling tingly.

Tony, just try washing your hands with it. But have some vinegar ready if you start feeling tingly.

I thought I had read that the idea of using vinegar was not the way to go anymore for lye on the skin but to run under cold water. That is generally what I do and it relieves it right away.

I can not even handle the oil mixed with lye b/c it burns my skin so bad but as I mentioned my hands are super sensitive for some reason.

Louise, I do have a sensitive skin, and I think our differences here may come just from the fact that people have different skin, because based on my understanding, it takes more than 24 hours, even more than a week for all the lye in the soap mixture (that was kept cool - not cooked or gelled) to react with the oils. I am not a chemist, so maybe someone else can say exactly how long an ungelled soap mixture would take to fully saponify, but based on what I have read so far, I am assuming it could be as long as 6 weeks. So a week old soap, while it may not be as harsh as a day-old soap, is likely to contain some lye that has not reacted with the oils. This may bother some people's skin, but not others. So I guess it is individual.

Ungelled soaps take longer to saponify, but once it's "done" and is zap free then go ahead and use it. Sure it mellows during the first two weeks, and hardens up through the first 4 or so, but you can use it any time after it's not zappy.

Ungelled soaps take longer to saponify, but once it's "done" and is zap free then go ahead and use it. Sure it mellows during the first two weeks, and hardens up through the first 4 or so, but you can use it any time after it's not zappy.

I've seen reference to this "zap" test. Can you explain it for me?

Thanks,

Tony

I'm not CareBear but I think I can help.

Basically, you taste the soap. You can wet your finger and rub it across the bar, and then put your finger on your tongue, or you can just touch your tongue to a sliver of soap (what I do).

If it tastes like soap, you're fine. If it gives you a "zap" like putting a 9 volt battery on your tongue, you have free alkali in your soap and it's not ready to use yet.

Edited because as usual....I can't type!