Weeping Salt Bars

Firefly

Hello,

I just made a batch of salt bars on Sunday yesterday and did them in the oven in my Bella mold (soaphutch mold sort like the kelsei but 3.5 x 2.5) so I wouldn't have to cut them. I used 50% dentritic salt (as I have tonnes of it and am out of sea salt) to total amount of oils before running it through the lye calculator. Also used about 1 oz of witch hazel as well as I read somewhere that someone else had tried it.

The bars came out stunning but they were really wet on the sides and bottom. Monday morning before work I used paper towel to wipe them dry and let them sit out to dry and whenever I notice drops on the sides of bottom I wipe them off and have made some samples to try first to see how they work.

Is it normal for salt bars to be wet? My batch was 21 ounces and I used 1.3 FO as I normally use 1 oz per pound and it was a Neroli FO. I've never used straight dentritic salt before so wondering if that might be the problem. Has anyone else used this salt before?

I am not sure about the salt...To be truthful I have never heard of that type..but does it have iodine in it...I have read, to be sure to use salt with no iodine..So maybe check the label..

Hope they turn out ok for you..At least you didn't make to big of a batch..the fo amount doesn't seem like that would be the problem..maybe someone else will chime in here and help out..

I also use a mold with dividers for my salt bars so I don't have to cut..and it is so much eaiser...

Thanks, I'm not sure if iodine is in there but I got it from The Sage awhile back but I don't see it on their site anymore. I've sent them an e-mail asking if it can be used in soaps.

I think the soaps will be fine but think next time I'll stick to all sea salt or a mix of dentritic and sea salt. The soap is one of the most beautiful bars I've made (will post pictures when I get the chance) so I'm really hope they work out. I made only 7 bars. On some soap forum I read that it's normal for salt bars to weep a bit but it didn't happen in the last batch I made but used sea salt, dead sea salt, solar salt etc. in that batch.

A long time ago I made a coffee soap with cinnamon EO and coffee grounds and had the same weeping problem and just kept patting them with paper towels and they ended up being fine in the end. I just always try and figure out why it happened so I don't run into the same problem in the end.

This is what The Sage wrote back about it:

Dendritic salt is a highly purified sodium chloride which has been crystallized under special conditions. Sodium ferrocyanide is added to modify the way the salt crystals grow.

Dendritic salt has the ability to hold a tremendous amount of water, it is often used as a anti-caking agent.

My sister told me the salt bars aren't weeping anymore so that's good news.

I'm with suds, I use ordinary table salt.

Glycerin is a natural occurence in handmade soaps and sometimes this is what the weeping is in your bars. If you've eliminated everything else....i.e. too much fo, lye pockets, etc., then pat yourself on the back because you've made an excellent batch of soap. Just pop the bars in the oven overnight with "only" the oven light on...leave the oven turned off. HTH

I don't use dendric salt in my bars. I only use that dendric salt to hold my fragrances to keep the salt from clumping in stuff like bath teas and bath bombs. Next time, try a combo of regular salt and sea salt - not DSS though. For some reason, its not good in salt bars. Although, I have read where some use it but I had no luck with it when I put it in my salt bars. There are so many other sea salts you can use that add great lable appeal.

I make salt bars all the time and in the middle of the summer at the farmers market when the humidity is high they will actually create a puddle on the table. They pull the moisture from the air. Just the nature of the beast.

I agree. My shop gets a bit damp temporarily sometimes when I'm dehydrating herbs, my salt bars weep. I use Kosher salt.